Views
Helpful
Replies

verify /md5 for ME 3800X-24FS-M Switch Router doesn't match with CISCO site

fcbob
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I downloaded image from CISCO site and when i did md5 verification for new ios 156.2.SP7 , it doesn't match with CISCO given signature. I tried it twice but still doesn't match. 

I have used verify /md5 me380x-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP7.bin

Does this mean IOS on cisco site is corrupt?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

What did  you download from Cisco? Cisco site has the .tar file but on the router you are verifying the .bin file. If you want to verify the .bin file, then untar the file on  your computer and verify the .bin. If you have a Windows PC, you can download and use the "Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier". For Linux you can use "md5sum"

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

View solution in original post

Wait a second ... That's not going to work.
15.6(2)SP7 only has MD5 hash for TAR files (bd20c9df3cdc4faba7b50c59cec23c57) & MD5 hash for BIN files are not published.
What command did you use to unpack the file into the switch? Is it "archive download-sw"?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Use a different computer to download the file.

Hi,
I did use different computer ( including different internet ) for second time.
Signature on cisco site ( though not sure if its for TAR or bin ) is different

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/283097565/type/280805680/release/15.6.2-SP7?catid=268438038
second one

and when I run - my verification came

verify /md5 flash:/me380x-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP7/me380x-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP7.bin
.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Done!
verify /md5 (flash:/me380x-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP7/me380x-universalk9-mz.156-2.SP7.bin) = 87578d99550bb60747ee73a01b63c179

these are two different signatures

Hi,

What did  you download from Cisco? Cisco site has the .tar file but on the router you are verifying the .bin file. If you want to verify the .bin file, then untar the file on  your computer and verify the .bin. If you have a Windows PC, you can download and use the "Microsoft File Checksum Integrity Verifier". For Linux you can use "md5sum"

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

Wait a second ... That's not going to work.
15.6(2)SP7 only has MD5 hash for TAR files (bd20c9df3cdc4faba7b50c59cec23c57) & MD5 hash for BIN files are not published.
What command did you use to unpack the file into the switch? Is it "archive download-sw"?

yes, archive download-sw. 

finally sorted . 

md5 on cisco site was for tar and when I did same for TAR - verified.

Initially I was checking tar with bin signature and wondering why is it coming different. 

Thanks a lot Tech Guru's for your quick response.

"archive download-sw" script will quietly verify the MD5 at the end of the process.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: