cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why doesn't a known IP address that is on the IP & MAC binding list show in the RV325 IPv4 DHCP Status list?

bruski1975
Level 1
Level 1

I have a security camera NVR device plugged into a port on the RV325 router and I cannot see its IP Address on the DHCP IPv4 Status list.  I know the NVR is on the  network because its app shows it is connected and I can see the IP address that it is using on its status screen.  I looked in the Unknown MAC address list, found its MAC and IP, then added the NVR IP/MAC to the IP & MAC Binding list and it still doesn't show up.  I don't have a DNS local database.  Is there a screen that shows which physical LAN port an IP is associated with?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello again,

The DHCP status list will only show leases accepted from the RV325. If you want to have visibility of the NVR, why don't you create a static DHCP binding (look for 'static DHCP' in the webGUI)?  This way the RV325 will issue the NVR an address, it will appear in the DHCP status list, but crucially you ensure it always has the same IP address.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Is the NVR device interface configured as a DHCP client, or by some lucky coincidence is its default static IP address the same as the subnet you have configured on your RV325? Since the NVR does not appear in the DHCP status list (DHCP leases) it suggests the latter  is true.

Regarding the IP and MAC binding, that is more of a security feature and ensures that the NVR IP address can only be used by a device with the NVR's MAC address, ie it cannot be spoofed.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb.

I reviewed the NVR setup and found that it has DHCP disabled and a static IP address of 192.168.1.115. The RV325 is setup as DHCP Server 192.168.1.1 and with an IP range of 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.149 and Use DNS Proxy. I thought a static IP for a device had to be in the RV325 DHCP IP address range. If that is not true, and I set the NVR static IP to 192.168.1.999 will it show up on the RV325 DHCP Status list? Or is that list only for IPs issued by the RV325?

Hello again,

The DHCP status list will only show leases accepted from the RV325. If you want to have visibility of the NVR, why don't you create a static DHCP binding (look for 'static DHCP' in the webGUI)?  This way the RV325 will issue the NVR an address, it will appear in the DHCP status list, but crucially you ensure it always has the same IP address.

cheers,

Seb.