cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Network engineer career without tech degree

asahmed1
Level 1
Level 1

Let me first share my background. I have a B.S. of sociology and want to change careers to IT. I don't really have a technical background, but I do have basic computer knowledge and experience. After much research, I want to get my CCNA cert and ultimately become a network engineer. I wanted to know if I get my CCNA can I apply for an entry-level network engineer position? Or, should I do something else in networking first to gain experience, then pursue a career as a network engineer? 

I also have experience with python and creating API's. Would that help? 

Thanks 

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if you like to be nework engineer, some company look for hands on expeireince since you are CCNA,. so get some gears from ebay and practice on that.

iam sure most of the good companies do encourage trainees to be part of their teram to grow the team, so you are right candidate there for that kind of job, so you get lot of learning exposure.

yes now a days it addon for network engineer to be scripting knowledge so you can automate the day to day tasks rather doing same task again and again. future moving towards Software driven so you have some space there to explore.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @asahmed1 ,

In my country, the technical careers are those that arrive until the CCNA4, that you use to opt for the CCNA certification.
The engineering careers also include the contents of the 3 CCNP and the CCNA security course.
I would recommend you see those courses also for your engineering career.

Regards