cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

diffrence between a cisco router and cisco catalyst router

binaytuladhar8
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all this is binay and a newbie to cisco...from nepal......currently doing ccna ...aside new to community as well...if i post my query in the wrong section please do forgive me and guide me to right section..where and how to post query as well.....

i wanted to know what is difference between cisco catalyst router and just a cisco router...what are the fuctions that differs cisco catalyst router from normal one..........

reagrds,

binay

2 Replies 2

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @binaytuladhar8 

The Cisco Catalyst are switch.
Some of these have layer 3 functions.

To understand the differences between a router and an L3 switch you can check this link:

http://ciscorouterswitch.over-blog.com/article-what-is-a-layer-3-switch-router-vs-layer-3-switches-92123664.html

Regards

Martin L
VIP
VIP

technically catalyst are switches, layer 2 or 3 switches, u can see "c" in front of number like c2950, c2960, c3550, c3560, c3750. c3850, c9200 are switches.
although there is "c" in front of router mage or name, i don't think we should call them catalyst routers. if you un-compress router image, you can see upper case C, which I think stands for Cisco, not catalyst.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: