cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 - complete reset to factory settings

brettlarkins
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone help me determine what files need to be deleted from flash to completely reset a Catalyst 9300-48U switch to factory defaults?

I'm looking to remove everything that has been added since the time it was pulled out of the box... config, vlans, switch number in stack, authentication mode new-style, etc...

I'm running version 16.6.2, so the "factory-reset all" command introduced in 16.8.x is not available on my switches.

Thank you.

7 Replies 7

gui.h3000
Level 1
Level 1

Have you had any luck with this?

I myself am trying to reset all the configurations to factory so I can start from scratch.

I'm at Everest 16.6.5 of my Catalyst 9300.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate.

Nisterio
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

You need to enter the following command at the Privilege exec mode:

Device# factory-reset all

No system configuration is required to use the factory reset command but the command won't work in stacking mode. Also, using the "ALL" will erase all the content from the NVRAM, all the Cisco IOS images, including the current boot image, boot variables, startup and running configuration data, and user data.

You can use the option config to reset the start-up configurations or use the option boot-vars to reset the user added boot variables. Hope this helps !

I have tried the factory-reset all, and the switch still thinks a user ID & password is configured when I log into the WebGUI vs asking me to setup a password.    I am not sure what else to do.   Any suggestions?

Thx

Bryan

bdgarcia@gmail.com wrote:

I have tried the factory-reset all, and the switch still thinks a user ID & password is configured when I log into the WebGUI vs asking me to setup a password.    I am not sure what else to do.   Any suggestions?

Thx

Bryan

I wouldn't be using the WebGUI to configure a switch.  Drop back to a console connection and then try again.

If you're partially configuring the switch and then attempting to configure the switch from the GUI then you'll need to set a username / password on the switch first.  I suspect that, from what you've written above, that you're configuring the switch with an IP so that you can access it from the GUI.

I used the factory-reset all function and it annihilated every bit of config on the tin except for the default functions already installed 

I wouldn't be using the WebGUI to configure a switch. Drop back to a console connection and then try again.
If you're partially configuring the switch and then attempting to configure the switch from the GUI then you'll need to set a username / password on the switch first. I suspect that, from what you've written above, that you're configuring the switch with an IP so that you can access it from the GUI.

I used the factory-reset all function and it annihilated every bit of config on the tin except for the default functions already installed

I use this method and I highly recommend not doing this unless you have years of experience working with Cisco switches. Although there is a somewhat simple recovery from this, I would only perform this if absolutely necessary. IT completely removes the IOS image and the boot variable. 

I used this link to recover from this factory reset. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-9/configuration_guide/sys_mgmt/b_169_sys_mgmt_9400_cg/recover_from_corrupt_or_missing_file_image_or_in_rommon_mode.html

osman.elhanafy
Level 1
Level 1

you can use 
#erase startup-config
#reload

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: