cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CCWS needs GUI overhaul

karlj
Level 1
Level 1

I have submitted suggestions to Cisco, but have seen no improvement in over two years of use.

There is no way to lookup categories of websites from the CCWS application.  You must go to http://policytrace.scansafe.net/. ; This is a real problem and should be integrated right in the CCWS application.

There is no way to mark exceptions.  We have a huge number of exceptions that are added to the database.  Some are temporary requests that need to be removed after a period of time.  If we could mark each one of them with a note, that would be very helpful.  Of course it would have to be an optional field.

The Dashboard is almost useless.  Al it shows is blocks.  It should show much more like most bandwidth utilization by user, blocks by category, category by user.  Yes, one can create reports, but it takes too long and should be much simpler.  It was not that difficult with Websense 6.0.  It is possible.  Additionally, dashboard items are not clickable to find out details.  Furthermore, there should be options to display as pie charts instead of bar graphs.

The web interface timeout is too short.  This should be customizable by the administrator and allow for no timeouts if so desired.

There are far too many steps required to add exception websites. 

The https exceptions are in a totally different area (ADMIN)  and require one to add websites to EXCEPTIONS rather than domains as one does in the WEBFILTERING exception procedure.  This should be standardized.   Perhaps it is our configuration or ignorance on my part, but there should be a method to allow ALL HTTPS traffic.  As it stands now, if we have a user in a group that needs access to a special https website, we have to add it in ADMIN EXCEPTIONS and also in their group web filter DOMAIN.  It's too convoluted of a procedure and should be simplified.

Why can't we manage Web Filtering categories from the Web Filtering tab?  Why must we go to Management / Filters ?  One cannot click on the rule to edit the filter in Web Filtering. 

See attached .jpg 

7 Replies 7

karlj
Level 1
Level 1

Additionally, there is no search feature or ability to scroll through the list of website exceptions.

One should be able to click in the list and hit a letter to automatically scroll to the letter as most Microsoft applications allow.

Excellent!  No one has read this.

Hello,

I'm not a part of the CWS team, so I can't comment on how beneficial these changes might be.

However, I would recommend opening up a TAC case (or case/s) and have the engineer create an 'Enhancement Request' for the new possible features you're proposing. After an Enhancement Request has been created, then it is reviewed by the Development team and assigned from there.

If that's already been done, then you can try speaking with your Sales and/or Account teams in order to try and get those Enhancement Requests pushed out onto the CWS platform.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

Yes.  Did all of that already.

No response and no changes.  

It's as if they really do not care about their product or retaining customers at all.

While I do not feel that is the case, I can certainly understand your frustration and I'm sorry you feel that way. There are a lot of variables in regards to How/When/If an Enhancement Request becomes implemented, but as I stated earlier your Account/Sales team would be the best way to try and push things forward.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Thanks!

-Dennis M.

They have not made any changes to the GUI since the product was released.

It's really terrible.

There are many other competitors like Websense who are direct competitors with Cisco.

I personally want their management to know that if they do not improve their product and listen to their customers that they will lose customers when it is time for them to renew their licenses.

We use an S170 appliance and although we did have a C170 for email filtering, we virtualized that appliance.

Though our web gui doesn't look like your screen shots, it largely remains unchanged except for the branding from IronPort to Cisco.  We've been customers of these appliances since the IronPort days and next budget year we will evaluate other options.  Every year we fight tooth and nail with the complicated licencing portal and we always have to open a support case because they never generate the right licences.  Also the virtual appliance, god forbid if it croaks and you have to rebuild it.  You have to go through the disastrous licencing process again.  I think all the entitlements should be stored on Cisco's servers, and you should just have to supply cisco ID and password for the appliances to log in and phone home to see what you are entitled.  From then on it should be automatic.  You renew with the reseller, it automatically updates the appliances.  So for now we have the whole year to dwell on if we are keeping these things in 2018, or are we spending time trialing other products.  I have to say that at least the email filter is working great, but I am not really tied down to keeping the WSA.