cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Looking for a URL/Umbrella type solution for a K-12 with iOS devices. We have FTD also.

Alkemyst71
Level 1
Level 1

One of our customers has been using JAMF to manage their iOS devices (about 300 macbooks and ipads) for their K-12 students.  They now need to be CISA complaint and heard Umbrella along with it's security connector can do this.   We have an FTD install already.   What are the pros and cons to Umbrella over FTD?  or perhaps using both?   I know Umbrella's big plus is it's more end user focused where as FTD is going to need an engineer.  They'd like to protect devices at homes too and it looks like Umbrella can do this through AnyConnect now whether or not they join the VPN.

Anyone have experience in this that can share and/or recommend the way to go? 

Thanks

Å

4 Replies 4

Hi @Alkemyst71 

If you want to protect the devices off-network and provide the same security policies, then yes the Umbrella client can do this. You are correct, with just FTD you'd have to force all users to connect back to the FTD over VPN if you wanted to filter there.

You have 2 client options, either the AnyConnect Umbrella Roaming Security Module (plugin for the AnyConnect client) or the Umbrella Roaming Client (does not require AnyConnect).

The organisations I've dealt with use Umbrella to filter traffic DNS/URL filtering on and off-site, leave the FTD to do firewalling and VPN.

HTH

The most common use cases I see with our customers are to use Umbrella for DNS/URL filtering, and anything else by the FTD. Umbrella is advantageous to protect endpoints regardless of their location. You don't have to use both Umbrella and FTD smart intelligence, however, what you would need to do in that case for the users connected inside the corporate network is to filter out the DNS traffic on the FTD and only allow it to Umbrella public DNS.

Alkemyst71
Level 1
Level 1

One other thing they'd like is to be able to flag 'disturbing' web searches. 

Safesearch is supported with Umbrella.