cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Windows Update not working with Ironport Web Appliance \ WSA

paul.migliara
Level 1
Level 1

Our engineers have issues trying to download Windows Server updates unless allowed out directly through the firewall. We use 2 S370 Ironport appliances and the logs don't show anything being blocked. When using the Ironport proxy the updates won't download. Has anyone seen this issue before? Thanks !

Cisco Ironport WSA S370

Cisco Ironport M670 management appliance

Windows Server 2003 & 2008

IE 11 browser

7 Replies 7

pepiscop
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Paul,

There is an issue where Windows Updates fail when authentication is enabled, attempt to create identity that contains windows updates domains and exempt them from authentication. This guide may be helpful as it contains windows client updates, not sure if the share the same update domains with Windows Servers.

See the following for more information- http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/security/web-security-appliance/117994-qna-wsa-00.html

dkorell
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using WCCP and had to exclude the servers in my ASA ACL from going through the WSAs. If there's another way I don't know what it is but I really wasn't concerned about the servers getting filtered anyways because no one gets on them.

Nitin Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Paul,

Please create custom category for below URLs and authenticate bypass..

You can create this by creating a separate identity and separate access policy.

download.windowsupdate.com
.windowsupdate.microsoft.com
.update.microsoft.com
.download.windowsupdate.com
update.microsoft.com
.windowsupdate.com
download.microsoft.com
windowsupdate.microsoft.com
ntservicepack.microsoft.com
wustat.windows.com
c.microsoft.com

Handy Putra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Paul,

Windows update is also using range request download method and this function is disabled globally by default in WSA due to security reason.

If you need the appliance to honour the rangerequest download method for just windows update, would recommend create a custom URL category for windows update from the other response information and also bypass authentication from WSA and you will need to set that custom URL category for windows update to "ALLOW" action in the policy instead of using "Monitor".

Hope this helps.

Regards

Handy

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Windows and Acrobat updates can be specified in an Identity Profile so you don't need to create an URL category for that.

upd

If already using an Identity with a URL category for Windows update URL's, Would adding the "Common User Agent" - "Microsoft Windows Update" restrict all URL categories added to the Identity?

Looking at the Advanced section you can define by:

"Proxy Ports"

"URL Categories"

"User Agents"

I believe they are independent of each other but I was a little wary that if you are currently defining this by URL Category and then further add some "User Agent" strings/variables etc.... It may be required to match everything defined.

Can someone confirm that these 3 subsets in the "Advanced" section function independently?

I would hate to add the user agent for MS Updates if this then caused "Other" URL categories added to that specific Identity to stop working because they don't use the  "Windows-Update-Agent" string....

I can see an advantage to selecting this option though as when our Server Admins started to setup Windows Server 2012 awhile back that the activation or update site for 2012 was slightly different than before and I had to add that URL to allow it out... but it would seem likely to be the same user-agent-string that Microsoft uses for updates... haven't verified this but it would make sense...

Anyone have more thoughts on this?...

Thanks,

KJ

Peter Koltl
Level 7
Level 7

Windows 2012 Server’s Windows update agent uses "Microsoft BITS/7.7" as the user agent string:

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: