cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adjust number of ports CUPC tries before failing?

smartnet
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having an issue launching CUPC 8.5 in our environment (Windows Server 2008 64bit) and in the logs, we seen an error about ports not being available.  I've found where the port is specified for use by CUPC to listen to Cisco Unified Framework on 44442.  It looks like the app tries that port first and then increments up by 1 till it finds a port that is available or quits after incementing 9 times (tries a total of 10 ports).  I'd like to specify additional tries (maybe up to 50 or 60 rather than just 10) so that it keeps incrementing up to at least port 44500.  Just to be clear, I do not want to change the initial port it tries first, just the numbe of times it will increment the port up before it gives up.  I could not find anywhere in the config files or registry where this is set but it most definitely appears to do this according to the debug file.  Any help is much appreciated.  In this clip of the debug below, you can see where it tries the next port up to 44451 and then destroy's the service.  What this looks like when you launch the app is it blinks for a split second and then goes away with no errors or anything.

2012-08-29 12:34:46,608 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44442 is not available

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)

at Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(Int32 port)

2012-08-29 12:34:46,609 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44443 is not available

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)

at Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(Int32 port)

2012-08-29 12:34:46,609 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44444 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,610 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44445 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,610 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44446 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,610 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44447 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,610 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44448 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,611 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44449 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,611 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44450 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,611 WARN  [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.IsAvailablePort(0)] - SocketException - Port 44451 is not available

2012-08-29 12:34:46,612 ERROR [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.TcpPortHelper] [TcpPortHelper.ReadCallbackPortNumber(0)] - No available port from 44442 to 44452).

2012-08-29 12:34:46,612 ERROR [10] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.ServiceAdaptors.Utilities.ConfigurationHelper] [ConfigurationHelper.GetClientServerBaseAddress(0)] - Couldn't get CUCIMOCCSFPort from System Registry.

2012-08-29 12:34:46,618 DEBUG [1 ] [Cisco.Uc.Clients.Common.WpfServicesClient.ServicesClient] [ServicesClient.Destroy(0)] - ServicesClient Destroy is being called

2 Replies 2

Jason Aarons
Level 6
Level 6

Windows 2008R2 64-bit is not a supported desktop client.  I would try Windows 7 first.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/8_6/Release/Notes/cupc86.html#wp39818

Thanks Jason.  We have since given up on CUPC and found that Jabber 9.x seems to work well in our environment.  To let the cat out of the bag, we were trying to get CUPC to work in a terminal server farm (multiple CUPC sessions per server).  Based on our debug, this port limitation seemed to be the only drawback and limited 10 CUPC sessions per server in the farm.  All features worked as intended with a typical install, nothing special, other than limiting 10 sessions per server.  I know if I stated this though, I would have been immediately shut down that it was not supported in a TS environment.  I didn't think about the server 2008 not being supported.  So you got me!!!  LOL!

Please close this thread unless Cisco is interested in making CUPC work in a terminal services environment (highly unlikely).

Thanks,

Roy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: