Views
Helpful
Replies

Arabic installer

etamminga
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi Cisco,

Please fix the following: On my English workstation (in Holland), Jabber for Windows installs using Arabic settings.

jabber-arabic.png

My workstation has never touched anything arabic, so it must be the installer.

Regards,

Erik

8 Replies 8

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How are you doing the install?

Also what version are you using?

It's Jabber for Windows 9.0.5.

We installed it by just running the CiscoJabberSetup.msi.

We've also tried adding the .mst, specifying the language, server-type and domain. But that didn't change the way Jabber installed.

It's only the Add/Remove programs Uninstall that displays the arabic language (and also the author is displayed in Arabic in arabic).

Regards,
Erik

Hi Eric,

Jabber team identified a defect with group policy deployment.

CSCub58750: Jabber defaults to Arabic when deployed with Group Policy

This defect was later closed because this is a Group Policy limitation as the lowest language code is automatically chosen as the default language. Arabic (Saudi Arabia) code is 1025 which is picked by group policy.

You are installing directly from the .exe file but I will suggest to try the workaround for the above defect. Let me know if it works for you.

Workaround:

1) Edit the MSI with Orca and remove all language ID's that are not related to the language you would like to install. Follow the steps below:

2) Download Orca as your MSI editor using the following link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370557%28v=vs.85%29.aspx.

3) Double click orca.exe to open it.

4) Go to File > Open and navigate to the location of the downloaded Profile Management installation. Click open.

5) Go to View and click on summary information.

6) In the languages section, remove the language ID's that are not related to the installation language you would prefer. Then, press OK.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Will try that.

We've also configured group policy deployment. So will have a look at the workaround anyway.

Jabber seems to be the only multi-lang app suffering from this problem.

Regards,

Erik

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I know this post is 3 years old.  however, it is still a problem in Jabber 11.5.1.

I also agree that Jabber seems to be the only multi-language app that suffers from this known "defect" in group policy.  it seems all other app manufactures have managed to circumvent this "defect"

I just added 19 msi apps to install via GPO.  only one of them suffered this problem.  ill give you three guesses which one it was.  last two guesses don't count.

Cool eh!

amccay
Level 1
Level 1

This issue is still present in 11_8_2

Spent a day working out that i had to select "Ignore Language" in GPO installer to get it to deploy. 

Then forget about uninstalling it.  It removes from Programs and features, but you can install again as it says it si already installed

I know this is going to come back and bite me in the ass if i ever need to install newer version manually. 

Here we are version 12.9 and this still must be done for a GPO install. Remember in orca to do a save and not "save as" for some reason I had issue with this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: