Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Experts

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Maqsood Mushtaq

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Jabber Clients with Cisco expert Maqsood Mushtaq.

Maqsood Mushtaq is a software engineer at Cisco in the Clients and Mobility Business Unit in Galway. Currently he provides support/bug fixes for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator (UPC) 8.x and Cisco UC Integration for Microsoft Office Communicator/Lync as well as Cisco Jabber for Windows. This includes setup, configuration, tracking customer feedback, and maintenance releases. He has over three and half years of experience in working with Cisco Unified Communications applications, including work as a developer on Visual Voicemail for Cisco IP Phones, Cisco Phone Designer, and Cisco UPC 8.x. He has also worked with Java MIDlets, C#, .NET, Windows Presentation Foundation, and InstallShield.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maqsood know if you have received an adequate response. 

Maqsood might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video sub-community   discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 15, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

97 Replies 97

wuyuke1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Maqsood

following link states the bandwidth requirement for Cisco Jabber Video.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-23366

• HD-quality      (1280x720) video resolution requires approximately 1.3Mbps.
  • VGA-quality      (640x480) video resolution requires approximately 450Kbps

My questions are

1. does this also apply to Cisco Jabber for Telepresence?
  2. currently only Cisco Jabber for Windows support video call, right?
  3. HD quality video requires about 1.3Mbps, what is the point of assign bandwidth more than 1.3Mbps? resolution still the same, but better quality?
  4. Does Jabber support auto-down-speed during video or audio call? for example, during call setup, both calling and called parties agree the video call should use 1280x720 resolution, bandwidth at about 1.3Mbps. A couple mins later, due to network congestion, there is no enough bandwidth, could the Jabber or CUCM detect the current network situation, automatically downspeed the video and audio call?

thanks

Yuke

Hi Yuke,

Thank you for your post and questions. Please note that I will only be able to answer questions related to Cisco Jabber for Windows. I have provided my input inline below.

1. does this also apply to Cisco Jabber for Telepresence?
    • You can ask the question regarding Jabber for Telepresence on the following link or in the Jabber Clients forum.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps11328/index.html

2. currently only Cisco Jabber for Windows support video call, right?

• Please post this question in the Jabber Clients forum.

3. HD quality video requires about 1.3Mbps, what is the point of assign  bandwidth more than 1.3Mbps? resolution        still the same, but better quality?

• That is correct. Please review "Audio and video reference" topic in the Jabber for Windows administration guide for more details. It also includes a section "Performance expectations for bandwidth".

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_01000.html#reference_F78D895015E94383BCDC71BC27CF2E27

4. Does Jabber support auto-down-speed during video or  audio call? for example, during call setup, both calling and called  parties agree the video call should use 1280x720 resolution, bandwidth  at about 1.3Mbps. A couple mins later, due to network congestion, there  is no enough bandwidth, could the Jabber or CUCM detect the current network situation, automatically downspeed the video and audio call?

• Jabber uses a combination of bitrate history and video rate adaptation to improve user experience for sending video bitrate.

Bitrate history remembers:

- who user calls (phone number )

- from where (network adapter Gateway chosen for sending media)

- last known sending video bitrate

Note: Bitrate history is saved in bandwidth.properties file under C:\Users\usernameAppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config

Video rate adaptation starts at low bitrate (128 kbps) and doubles bitrate every 3 seconds (approx) until limited (network/signalled/region) value           is achieved.

If you have previously called a user and it has adapted to HD (will take approx 30 seconds), subsequent calls to  this user will start at HD.           However video call will adapt (high or low resolution) if network conditions change (up or down).

Hope this explanation helps.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood

Thanks for the quick reply.

Couple more questions

1. Does Jabber for Windows support audio sharing via presentation? e.g I am running Jabber, connected with Ex90, then I play a video clip on my notebook, shared via presentation, on Ex90 can hear the audio from video clip?
  2. Is Jabber going to add permanent chat group function? In China, there is a very popular IM software called QQ, it has permanent chat group function, capable of audio and video. People can join groups for specific topic, like "Cisco Network Engineer group", or from within a company, can create "Cisco TAC - UC" group, "Cisco TAC - Data Center" group, peple can post questions, share ideas. I have seen a lot of companies using QQ for business as well. For Pepole in China, if QQ can do the same thing as Jabber, what is the point of getting the Jabber in the compnay network?
  3. Can Jabber for Windows make sip call? I know Jabber for Telepresence can, it use VCS control and VCS Expressway.

thanks

Yuke

Hi Yuke,

Please see inline.

1. Does Jabber for Windows support audio sharing  via presentation?  e.g I am running Jabber, connected with Ex90, then I  play a video clip  on my notebook, shared via presentation, on Ex90 can  hear the audio from  video clip?
    • Jabber for Windows  does not support audio sharing via presentation video. However since for  the video presentation sharing you need to be on a call, the audio from  a video playing on your desktop can get transmitted to the receiver if  you are using pc speakers for audio out. In this case audio will be  picked by your mic.
  2. Is Jabber going to add  permanent chat group  function? In China, there is a very popular IM  software called QQ, it  has permanent chat group function, capable of  audio and video. People  can join groups for specific topic, like "Cisco  Network Engineer group",  or from within a company, can create "Cisco  TAC - UC" group, "Cisco TAC  - Data Center" group, peple can post  questions, share ideas. I have  seen a lot of companies using QQ for  business as well. For Pepole in  China, if QQ can do the same thing as  Jabber, what is the point of  getting the Jabber in the compnay network?
    • Persistant group chat feature is on the roadmap for Jabber for Windows.
    • Cisco Jabber for Windows is part of Jabber product suite which  provides rich collaboration and communication from any workspace  including PC, MAC, tablet and smartphones. Depending on the business  needs of an organization, Jabber can provide significant increase in  productivity and cost savings. Following link contains some helpful  information about Jabber solution and case studies.

https://communities.cisco.com/docs/DOC-29850

3. Can Jabber for Windows make sip call? I know Jabber for Telepresence can, it use VCS control and VCS Expressway.
    • Jabber for Windows always makes SIP calls in softphone mode.
    • If user is in deskphone mode:
      • SIP call is made if the deskphone has a SIP based phone firmware
      • SCCP (Skinny Call Control Protocol) call is made if the deskphone has an SCCP based phone firmware

Thanks,

Maqsood

hi Maqsood

thanks.

Maybe I should ask can Jabber for Windows make url based sip call?

Yuke

Hi Yuke,

Jabber for Windows supports uri based sip calls.

Example 1:

A user can make a call from the run window as below:

Example 2:

Owner of a web page can use links similar to this:

Call reception

Clicking on this link will pop up a Jabber confirmation dialog as in above example (if Jabber is not started it will automatically be started).

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood

I see. but how about calling sip url? e.g. johndoe@xyz.com?

what u just point out is calling internal numbers.

thanks

Yuke

Hi Yuke,

Jabber for Windows does not support this format of calls today. It is a long term roadmap item.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Hi Maqsood

Thanks for the info.

Yuke

hi

i have jabber installed and working

but i tried the tel:XXXX and i get error  "there is no program associated...."

Hi Jacob,

Can you check in your registry if following registry folder and its values exist?

Key   = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel

Value = URL:Cisco Jabber Protocol

Key   = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\DefaultIcon

Value = C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\CiscoJabber.exe

Key   = HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell\open\command

Value = "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\CiscoJabber.exe" -URI %1

When Jabber for Windows starts it adds these registry entries if they do not already exist. If the folder or subfolders don't exist then your user may not have enough privilages to allow Jabber to write to this registry location although we did test it for non-admin users. Please provide a problem report if registry entries are missing.

Thanks,

Maqsood

yep its a permission problem

my pc with windows 7 pro 32 bit

UAC enabled

the key was missing

exited jabber and ran by "run as administrator"

and the key got added and dial works from run

Hi Maqsood,

I was having the exact same problem until I read this thread.

This has helped me somewhat.  Running as administrator did indeed create the missing keys.

Now, when I click on a tel link, Google Chrome opens!

The keys seem perfect, I don't understand why Chrome is opening tel protocols.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel]

@="URL:Cisco Jabber Protocol"

"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\DefaultIcon]

@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Cisco Systems\\Cisco Jabber\\CiscoJabber.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\tel\shell\open\command]

@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Cisco Systems\\Cisco Jabber\\CiscoJabber.exe\" -URI %1"

When I uninstall Chrome, Cisco Jabber (9.1.0 Build 12296) opens all tel links correctly.

When I reinstall Chrome, Chrome now takes over opening the tel links.

When I go into "Set Default Programs", select Google Chrome, select "Choose defaults for this program", I can see that the current default for the TEL protocol is associate with

Google Chrome.  There's a checkmark next to TEL that I can't remove. (see attached image).

Currently using Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Thank you for your help, uninstalling Chrome permanently is not a possibility.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Can you reproduce this on Windoes 7 or XP? Please note that Jabber for Windows is not officially supported on Windows 8 yet. It is on the backlog for CY2013.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: