Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Experts

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Read the bioWith Maqsood Mushtaq

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn about Jabber Clients with Cisco expert Maqsood Mushtaq.

Maqsood Mushtaq is a software engineer at Cisco in the Clients and Mobility Business Unit in Galway. Currently he provides support/bug fixes for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator (UPC) 8.x and Cisco UC Integration for Microsoft Office Communicator/Lync as well as Cisco Jabber for Windows. This includes setup, configuration, tracking customer feedback, and maintenance releases. He has over three and half years of experience in working with Cisco Unified Communications applications, including work as a developer on Visual Voicemail for Cisco IP Phones, Cisco Phone Designer, and Cisco UPC 8.x. He has also worked with Java MIDlets, C#, .NET, Windows Presentation Foundation, and InstallShield.

Remember to use the rating system to let Maqsood know if you have received an adequate response. 

Maqsood might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Collaboration, Voice and Video sub-community   discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through June 15, 2012. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

97 Replies 97

abcronin
Level 1
Level 1

Is this post still open?

I have some J4W questions

Hi,

This post is closed. Please post your questions on the main forum for Jabber for Windows.

Thanks,

Maqsood

piaofengji
Level 1
Level 1

Unable to chat with user that is available

I was wondering if anyone else had the following issue with Jabber for Windows:

I've got 3 specific users A, B, C

- A can see B as available, and can send them a chat

- B can see both A and C and can send them a chat

- C can see A and CAN receive messages from B but CANNOT send chat to B. Any chat to B says "Message cannot be delivered"

- now if A creates a group chat with B and C, then C only will see A's messages

- other things of note are that no matter what computers any of those users sign into, and no matter whether they're on 9.0.4 or 9.0.5, the issue is still the same.

- if C looks at B from the iPad version of Jabber, the status of B is "Waiting for confirmation"

- the CUPAdmin->Presence->Settings->Allow users to view the availability of other users without being prompted for approval checkbox was already checked and servers have been restarted

- Presence server version is 8.6.4.10000-28

- Jabber for Windows is: 9.0.5 (also tested with 9.0.4)

- noticed this is the epeXXX.log file:

system.pe.storage.presence 1309462 ERROR validation failure: found key(new_row.uid_m, new_row.slotid_m) in table.build_list_given_mfi_uid_slotid() failed to insert row into table(presenceeventtable)

jayantgupta
Level 1
Level 1

I have recently installed jabber 9.1 for windows with CUCM local server. I am not able to add my personal contacts to it. The personal contacts which were added with CUPC client do remain but new ones not part of AD cannot be added.

I believe this issues was to be resolved in 9.1. Could u let me know if tehre is something to be done on my end.

@Jayant GUPTA... I am having the same issue with adding personal contacts.

9.1 supports Outlook contact search (users can search for, add, and communicate with local contacts from Microsoft Outlook). Personal contacts (aka pizza guy contacts) are not supported in this release. It is planned for 9.2 release (in 1st half of calender year 2013).

As a workaround you can add these contacts in Outlook and then access them via Jabber. Note that these contacts should have an IM address so that they could be searched and added in Jabber. If after adding such contact you don't see them in contact list, then make sure that "Show offline contacts" is checked in the View menu. I know its not ideal but something you can work with until "Personal contacts" feature is available.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Danny Wortmann
Level 1
Level 1

Maqsood, we have Jabber for Windows 9.1 installed.  We have 9951s with video camera's and 7965s with webcams connected to their PC.  After installing Jabber, we no longer see video in Jabber for the 7965s like we did with CUPC.  Is this supposed to work?  We have the deskphone enabled for video, RTCP is enabled and I verified the firewall is not blocking traffic.  I have found conflicting information on Cisco.com.  One place it said that video calls with Jabber only works when you are using a Jabber softphone, not a deskphone,   Another place showed that 7965s with Jabber would work with video as long as it was a send/receive combination, not receive only video. 

Thanks, Danny

Hi Danny,

Cisco Jabber for Windows 9.1 supports deskphone video. Please check "Desk Phone Video Configuration" section in the admin guide. Also check the section "Desk Phone Video Capabilities" in 9.1 Release Notes for considerations and limitations that apply to desk phone video capabilities.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Maqsood,

Is there a way to have chat history follow a user or is this a feature planned?  I saw persistent group chats and message archival options but we need a way that a user can access their chat history from any machine when they sign into Jabber for Windows.  Thank you so much for taking time to answer questions still.

Thank you.

Hi Tracey,

History is stored in the local folder. I don't know if there is a way to copy this folder along with user's roaming profile.  

C:\Users\userxxx\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History

There is no feature request to save it to roaming folder at the moment.

Thanks,

Maqsood

michaelfine77
Level 1
Level 1

Maqsood,

I am trying to get deskphone video to work and have followed the instructions in the 8.6 on prem guide, PC is plugged into phone, we installed the mediant software, made sure video is enabled on the devices we are testing with, made sure they are also CTI enabled and that the CTI anabled role is selected for the users. I don't beleive there is any endpoint protection firewall blocking on any of the stations.

I can get video to work in soft phone mode, but can't get it to work in deskphone mode.

CUCM 8.6.2

CUPS 8.6.3

J4W 9.1

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

Can you try following steps

1. Reset the physical deskphone
  2. While Jabber is closed, restart the medianet service (via  services..msc)
  3. Restart Jabber

If these steps don't help, please open a TAC case.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Maqsood,

We had to upgrade the firmware on all 7900 series phones from 9-2-1 to 9-3-1 and we are now able to do video with Jabber on deskphone calls.

Thanks

mtavarez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am not sure if I am in the correct area to ask this question but I figure I'll give it a shot. We have Jabber configured with CUPS. It works great. However we recently noticed that we can not do adhoc conferece calls while on VPN. We don't get any errors nor does it diconnect the current calls. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,

This should work for Audio or Video conference call as long as you can reach your conferencing bridge. This is most likely a configuration issue in your setup. Please open a support case with Cisco TAC to resolve this.

Thanks,

Maqsood

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: