cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Block File Transfer Jabber for Windows

Deval Tetar
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to block file transfer in my envirment.

Jabber for Windows Version: 9.2.6 Build 12693

IM and Presence System version: 9.1.1.20000-5

CUCM System version: 9.1.1.20000-5

I know we can block file transfer with following in "jabber-config.xml":

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<config version="1.0">

<Policies>

<File_Transfer_Enabled>false</File_Transfer_Enabled>

</Policies>

</config>

Howeverever if I want to allow file transfer for few users I need to delete Jabber config file from following:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config

So there is dependency on endclient.

Can everything be controlled by CUCM or Presence Server in this case.

We dont want any dependency on endclient.

I am using IM and Presence only for Jabber IM and Presence, NO CSF devices.

We are using Jabber for Chat and File sharing only.

Once this is tested succesfully then we will move for CSF and calling feature.

Thanks and Regards,

Deval Tetar

4 Replies 4

Deval Tetar
Level 1
Level 1

Just to add We want to allow file sharing for few users and block for others.

We do not want to block file sharing feature globally.

Deval Tetar

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The correct way to do this is to create an XML file with the feature enabled and apply it to the subset of users. In other words, the file overrides the global default file. The problem in your case is that you apply this non-default XML file on the CSF device. There is no native GUI option for this yet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_0101.html#JABW_CN_G333094C_00

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Hi Jonathan,

So what you are saying is I will block globally then create CSF device and allow for set of users,

in that case group config file is going to override default file,

interesting let me try this tomorrow...

I will create few test CSF devices and try this...

Will let you know how it goes, I have never thought that we can use group config file to allow as well....

I kept that as last option that I will suggest to create CSF devices with group config file of blocking file transfer...

Still that has dependency on client side, if I want to allow file transfer again I have to delete that config file...

that what client is asking can we do it which any changes on Jabber Client side...

Thanks for help... I will test this and let you know how it goes...

Still that has dependency on client side, if I want to allow file transfer again I have to delete that config file..

You update/replace the XML file on the TFTP servers only. The clients will notice the changed file the next time they start/login as they attempt to download it each time.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: