cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can IP Communicator and Jabber exist on the same computer?

Liz S
Level 1
Level 1

I am attempting to add a new device to configure the softphone for Jabber, on a desktop that currently has IP communicator already set up and running.  

In the phone configuration page of my CUCM 8.65 GUI it rejects the Device Name (MAC) since it's already in use by the IP Communicator configuration.   What is the work around?

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies 5

Vivek Batra
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Jabber doesn't add in CUCM the way you add other SEP devices. Jabber is configured as CSF device and you must prefix the device name with CSF followed by device name. For example you can enter device name as CSFISUSINO.

- Vivek

Hi Vivek, thank you for that...a newbie and self teaching.   Think I got it now...

There is nothing wrong with having CIPC and CSF on the same PC, but from end user perspective there will be duplicate pop-up window on an incoming call if there is shared DN as well as duplicate ringing

Also even if there is no shared DN, it could be confusing to the user, which one to answer from CIPC or Jabber for incoming calls.

You can also do a "Deskphone Control" of CIPC device with putting Jabber in Deskphone Mode controlling the CIPC as you would control an IP Phone - an option is fully feasible if desired to do so.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you can have both in the same PC

Exactly what documentation are you following for this?? because the MAC address has absolutely nothing to do with the Jabber clients.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jamie, I got the answer from another reply.  Thank you!!