cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber Directory

Shri2
Level 1
Level 1

I am aware that W4J uses EDI directory type. But if machine is registered to AD domain, then we don't need to configure EDI type configuration in CUCM as jabber client automatically discovers the directory and connects to a Global Catalog server in that domain

Our customer setup.

We have configured BDI for endpoints other than J4W. We have not configured EDI/UDS.

BDI has been configured with host name drm-gc.xyz.com ( xyz.com is domain )

For J4W, ideally jabber should do the SRV query to global catalog as _gc._tcp.pfizer.com

But in the logs, i can see jabber is doing SRV as below 

About to make DNS SRV record query '_gc._tcp.drm-gc.xyz.com.'

DNS query _gc._tcp.drm-gc.pfizer.com. has failed: DNS name does not exist

So why jabber is querying to gloabl catalog by adding drm-gc which was configured for BDI.

Another strange is, as we haven't configured EDI/UDS so ideally J4W shouldn't connect to directory but it successful connects to drm.gc.xyz.com which is conigured for BDI....

8 Replies 8

Mike_Brezicky
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
on a domain machine can you open a command prompt and run the following:
nslookup
set type=SRV
_gc._tcp.drm-gc.xyz.com

See if the record is properly reachable from a basic lookup.

Also for what its worth, I have alsways found the most success (and less headache) with UDS, as long as CUCM is syncing with LDAP properly. UDS functions across all platforms, including MRA where BDI can be limited.

I tried that it doesn’t work.. srv query works for _gc._ldap.xyz.com

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/openspecs/windows_protocols/ms-adts/c1987d42-1847-4cc9-acf7-aab2136d6952

The creation of DNS Resource Records is specified in [RFC2136].

The name of an SRV Resource Record is in the following form:

Service.Proto.Name TTL Class SRV Priority Weight Port Target

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the response Jaime,
I looked into the link you have provided, couldn’t find what I am looking for...

Which one is RFC compliant??

_gc._tcp.xyz.com OR _gc._ldap.xyz.com?

HTH

java

Ideally it should query _gc._tcp.cyz.com instead it queries _gc._tcp.drm-gc.xyz.com

drm-gc is HOSTNAME for BDI

What is the login you use on Jabber? is it the same you use on your laptop?

You can always hard-code the configuration with the service profile and that would avoid any issue.

HTH

java

Yes same login as laptop
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: