Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber For Windows 11.8 - Automatic Meeting Status

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Cisco Support Community

We currently use Cisco Jabber FW 10.6 and we are looking to migrate to 11.8 an are currently at testing stage.

In 10.6 we have Outlook/Exchange Presence status working and we also have Meetings enabled so that we can both see the Exchange meetings in the meetings tab and the presence status of the user automatically changes to Meeting when they are in a meeting.

With 11.8 we also have Outlook/Exchange Presence status working without having to change anything at the backend and the meetings tab is also pulling through the meetings from exchange, however the users status doesn't automatically change when they are in a meeting and remains as an available status.

Is there something else that needs to be done in 11.8 to enable this feature ?

Thanks, Carl Ratcliffe

Preston Lancashire England

2 Replies 2

Rich Tuttle
Level 4
Level 4

We have hit or miss, but mainly Outlook's meetings don't update presence of our users on Jabber. I have tried 5 of the latest versions of Cisco Jabber.

Second, Calendar entries with 11.8(3) isn't populating Cisco Jabber.

This has took a long time with Cisco TAC but I have finally got some answers. It seems the way Jabber for Windows 10.6 ( our current client ) works differently with "in a meeting" status to the Jabber 11.8 client.

The 11.8 client will only gets its "in a meeting" presence status from Outlook only if there is no Exchange configuration on IM&P. If there is Exchange configuration in IM&P then the jabber client gets a message to ignore its outlook status -Ignore to set InMeeting Presence state on CUP as server side Exchange integration is detected.

Now if Exchange is configured in IM&P you should be able to get Presence status from here however in my case it's not working so I now need to focus on that part so in summary I thought Exchange config on IM&P was working but it seems it has never been working but in Jabber 10.6 it doesn't matter as it will then use Outlook.

Client-Side 'In a meeting' Availability Status

This section describes the behavior for the In a meeting (according to my calendar) checkbox on the Status tab on the Options window.

Cisco Jabber for Windows supports two options for setting 'In a meeting' availability status when events occur in your calendar:
'In a meeting' availability status comes from Microsoft Exchange

This option requires Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange integration and applies to on-premises deployments only.

'In a meeting' availability status comes from Cisco Jabber for Windows

This option applies to both on-premises and cloud-based deployments.

The following table describes when your status changes to 'In a meeting' when events occur in your calendar:
Deployment Select In a meeting (according to my calendar) Do Not Select In a meeting (according to my calendar)
On-Premises deployments

You enable integration between Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange.

Cisco Unified Presence sets Not set
On-Premises deployment

You do not enable integration between Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange.

Cisco Jabber for Windows sets Not set
Cloud-Based deployments Cisco Jabber for Windows sets Not set

If users select the In a meeting (according to my calendar) checkbox, Cisco Jabber for Windows displays only the 'In a meeting' availability status when calendar events occur in a supported calendar client, such as Microsoft Outlook, IBM Lotus Notes, or Google Calendar. Cisco Jabber for Windows does not display other availability statuses from other calendar sources.

The following statements apply to on-premises deployments:
  • You must disable Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange integration in order for Cisco Jabber for Windows to set the 'In a meeting' availability status. Cisco Jabber for Windows performs a check to determine if Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange integration is on or off. Cisco Jabber for Windows only sets client-side 'In a meeting' availability status if Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange integration is off.
  • If users are joined to a Cisco WebEx meeting or sharing their desktops, Cisco Jabber for Windows displays the 'In a meeting' availability status. This applies if users select the In a meeting (according to my calendar) checkbox or not.
  • The Cisco Unified Presence user page contains the following field:
    • Include Calendar information in my Presence Status
    This field is equivalent to the In a meeting (according to my calendar) checkbox in Cisco Jabber for Windows. These two fields update the same value in the Cisco Unified Presence database.
    If you enable Microsoft Exchange integration, the In a meeting (according to my calendar) checkbox controls whether Cisco Unified Presence sets the 'In a meeting' status when calendar events occur. If users set both fields to different values, the last field the user sets takes precedence. If users change the value of the Include Calendar information in my Presence Status field while running Cisco Jabber for Windows, the users must restart Cisco Jabber for Windows for those changes to apply.
The following table compares support for different use cases between client-side 'In a meeting' availability status and Cisco Unified Presence and Microsoft Exchange integration:
Client-Side 'In a meeting' Availability Status Enabled Cisco Unified Presence Integrated with Microsoft Exchange
'Offline in a meeting' availability status is not supported. 'Offline in a meeting' availability status is supported.
'In a meeting' availability status is supported for events that do not appear in the user's calendar. 'In a meeting' availability status is not supported for events that do not appear in the user's calendar.
  • 'Offline in a meeting' availability status refers to when the user is not logged in to Cisco Jabber for Windows but an event exists in the user's calendar.
  • Events that do not appear in the user's calendar refer to events such as ad hoc conferencing. For example, user A creates an unscheduled Cisco WebEx meeting. User A then invites user B to that meeting by sending the meeting URL in an instant message.