Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Windows failed to login

fuhrersk8
Level 3
Level 3

Hello guys!

I am currently deploying a CUP 8.6 integrated with a CUCM 8.6 both installed on a BE6000. I am getting the error of unable to communicate with server on the Jabber client (Windows 7). My question is the following:

1. Does a device has to be created on the CUCM 8.6 for thew Jabber?

2. If yes, what kind of device?

Thanks in advanced!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Can you ping the CUPS server by name/

Usually this problem is due to DNS failing; even if you enter IP into the server name box, the server returns a hostname (typically not an FQDN, but a simple hostname e.g. CUPS-01) and if the client cannot resolve it, it fails to connect.

Add the hostname to the DNS domain the client PC is in.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Assuming you want to use it as softphone or deskphone control, yes, otherwise, just do the CUCM-CUPS integration and license the users.
If you want it to make calls, review the j4w config guide for all details. Its on CCO

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the reply Jaime. I already integrated the CUCM with the CUPS but im getting the unable to communicate with server error on the jabber client. I did the troubleshooting on the CUCM and all the tests passed ok. Where should i look into int this scenario and what kind of device should be created on the CUCM for softphone?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

Hi

Can you ping the CUPS server by name/

Usually this problem is due to DNS failing; even if you enter IP into the server name box, the server returns a hostname (typically not an FQDN, but a simple hostname e.g. CUPS-01) and if the client cannot resolve it, it fails to connect.

Add the hostname to the DNS domain the client PC is in.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Excellent Aaron! It is as you mentioned. I added the host-IP relation to the host file in the PC and it worked. So DNS is a must the, right?

Yep!

It basically returns the name of the server as shown in the cluster topology screen. Best to add it as that hostname to the primary domain that the workstations are in rather than try changing that at the moment - changing the name at the CUPS end (e.g. to FQDN) may break your server... it broke mine. Fix in 8.6.5, not yet available..

Aaron

Thanks for the advice Aaron!

I wish I had found this sooner, or that the deployment guide noted that this deployment requires DNS.  Thanks for this, found it after 2 hours of troubleshooting and a quick edit to the local hosts file confirmed it to be true.

/p

Hi Paul

Glad you have it sorted - if it helps, please rate it!

Aaron

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Aaron, I should have come here yesterday then instead of bugging you with my phone call ...This little tricky bits of our Jabber world...The fun never ends or if you may..the troubles!

EDIT: I changed my server name to IP address and rebooted the server and that did it for me. I am going to revert back to Hostname and use local pc host files pending DNS ready etc

Please rate all useful posts

"opportunity is a haughty goddess who waste no time with those who are unprepared"

Please rate all useful posts

I didn't think I'd need to refer you back to the forums! You're on here more than me :-)