Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber for Windows with CUCM only, without Presence

Sinisa Hreljac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I'm trying to find out how to use Cisco Jabber for Windows with CUCM 10.5. only. So far I found a way to install Cisco Jabber with Phone Services only option and connect it to CUCM. Audio and video calls works OK. But, there is no instant messaging possibility and there is no contact list and presence status of contacts.

When looking documentation here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/unified-communications/unified-presence/index.html it states: 

"Cisco Unified Presence technology has been integrated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager for Release 9.0 and later. All the features and capabilities of Cisco Unified Presence 8.6 are now part of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager. "

So with this in mind, I would expect that there is no longer Presence server needed for IM & Presence status on Cisco Jabber. At Cisco Jabber configuration documentation, however, there is need for Presence server.

I just don't understand....do I need Presence server or not? Also, I cannot find any order guide for Presence and licencing/pricing for it.

This is totally mess...can somebody help me to explain in understandable way, what is possible with CUCM only, a and for what do I need Presence server if "Cisco Unified Presence technology has been integrated with Cisco Unified Communications Manager for Release 9.0 and later"? How can I enable IM & presence on Cisco Jabber?

Thanks,

S.

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

No, your understanding is wrong, and I can't blame you, not the first one to ask, or think that.

That only means that most of the config has been moved to CUCM side and now IM&P is a subscriber on CUCM, nothing else.

You still need a separate IM&P server to be installed if you want a full UC deployment, right now with just CUCM, all you get, is phone only mode, with no IM&P capabilities, as you have noticed.

Licensing is based on user

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/unified-communications-licensing/product_solution_overview0900aecd806cc7a4.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

OK, thanks.

In meanwhile I have installed CUPS on test environment and now I'm interested how to see presence status of remote users phone (on hook/off hook) on my jabber client. Remote user does not have jabber, only phone.

Due to licensing, as I can understand, Enhanced (10.x) licenses are covering Cisco Jabber for Windows, so I don't have need for additional licenses if I install CUP server on production and using Cisco Jabber for Windows?

Just follow the regular CUCM-IM&P integration guide, if you do everything by the book, once you add a user who only has a phone, you'll only see them either offline, or on a call.

HTH

java

I allready did that using several Cisco and nonCisco documents and video tutorial on youtube, but I cannot see PUBLISH sip messages that are sent from CUCM to CUPS when phone (softphone, Cisco IP Communicator) goes on/off hook. I can see only one PUBLISH sip message when I logoff or logon to Cisco IP Communicator via Extension mobility.

Can you provide me link to regular CUCM-IM&P integration guide for CUCM 10.5 & CUPS 10.5?

You said that (also in one other thread) that Jabber will see only offline and on call status. What is the point of this? I mean, if I configure BLF on phone, I can see if someone is logged on phone and available for call or not. So, why this is not possible with Jabber and CUPS? Isn't that unlogic?

Thanks,

S.

Dear,

Thanks for all your comments, its working fine. I will appreciate if you can help how it can work over the WAN?

Hi,

Can you help me with document you followed to register Jabber with Phone Services only option and connect it to CUCM. 

Thanks.

Simply configure your Jabber device in CUCM and do not assign an IM&P server to the service profile, that's all you need.

HTH

java

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/jabber-windows/116446-technote-product-00.html

Hi Experts
I have some problems with Jabber when they want to connect to their client in windows, CUCM is authenticated by LDAP I see the users synchronized in the IM & P I can even enter with the credentials of a user to the cucmuser website all right,
But when I try to connect to the Jabber for Windows, incorrect credentials come out,

The strange thing is that if I got the wrong credentials, I would not be allowed to enter because of the cucmuser,
A CUCM 11.5 and IM & P 11.5 are running

Has something similar happened to you?

regards
Carlos P.