cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber IM for Android is here!

mgervase
Level 1
Level 1

We are pleased to announce that the Cisco Jabber IM for Android application is generally available for our customers as of October 16, 2012.

Cisco Jabber IM for Android:

Stay connected while mobile: Cisco Jabber IM for Android delivers instant messaging (IM) and presence to your Android phone.

• Access your desktop IM contact list and take action with features such as click to IM, click to call, click to email, and click to text from a person's profile.
  • Start or join an instant Cisco WebEx® meeting from an IM conversation.
  • Search for colleagues in your corporate directory.
  • Maintain security using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption and by connecting your Android phone directly to the Cisco IM infrastructure - Cisco Unified Presence or Cisco WebEx Messenger.

Cisco Jabber IM for Android works with any Android device running OS Version 4.1, Version 4.0, or Version 2.3 and is a free download from Google Play for Cisco Unified Presence or Cisco WebEx Messenger customers.

Download Link

Download Cisco Jabber IM for Android for free, directly from Google Play

Other Collaboration Solutions for Android

Other Cisco Jabber IM Solutions

For More Information

Visit these sites and utilize these resources to learn more about Cisco Jabber IM for Android:

Regards,

The Jabber IM for Android Team

25 Replies 25

has this been fixed, i am getting the same exact error, invalid login, on android version.

Jeffrey,

The latest version works for me - you just have to be careful of the distinction between WebEx login, and when you are being forwarded to your SSO login page from the android browser (this happens in app).

When this happens, it auto-populates your login, but if you are using ADFS SSO, you will need to most likely change this to your domain credentials.

So enter webex email address, and click continue -> get forwarded to SSO Authentication login page -> change credentials to SSO login creds (domain\user for username instead of email address that is auto populated and password in most cases), and then you should be able to get in.

The developers seemed responsive about the fact that auto-populating this field was confusing, and the UI didn't give a clear indication that it was now logging you into your SSO.  Even when the username field is blank, it reverts to the default "email address" indicator which is additionally confusing.

Hope this helps!

endamcm79
Level 1
Level 1

So this is a standalone Cisco Jabber IM App for Android.

Is the same functionality available/supported using a Jabber plugin for a browser on Android? (or any mobile device)

Thanks,

Enda

Yes, it is standalone Jabber IM client for Android.

I am not sure what plugin you are talking about here. If you are speaking the Jabber Web product, I think It will first be supported on desktop environment rathen than mobile. And no plugin is required for running just IM functionalities. The another thing I was told is that browsers on mobile environment do not allow any plugin to be installed.

Regards,

Ji

I am wondering does Jabber Support IM and Presence within the browser of a mobile device [IPad, IPhone, Android]?

Thanks,

Enda

Not supported at the moment. We are going to release the Jabber Web client soon but the initial support is on desktop browser as far as I know. Technically speaking, you should be able to use it on a mobile browser, however, the interface is not optimized for using on the mobile side.

Regards,

Ji Li 李吉

Technical Marketing Engineer (CUC-RTX & Jabber Mobility)

Thanks Ji Li,

So are you saying that technically it should be possible for me to develop a Web App for running in a mobile device browser that incorporates IM and Presence functionality via Jabber.

But that there is no official support for this platform at the moment?

Regards,

Enda

I believe so. You could refer to jabber web SDK on CDN for detailed development materials.

http://developer.cisco.com/web/jabber-developer/

Regards,

Ji Li 李吉

Technical Marketing Engineer (CUC-RTX & Jabber Mobility)

paulbcameron
Level 1
Level 1

For More Information

Visit these sites and utilize these resources to learn more about Cisco Jabber IM for Android:

This is a dead link.   It returns 404 Page Not Found

paulbcameron
Level 1
Level 1

my team is using WebEx Connect,   I want to be able to follow those converstation on my Android devices.   Will Jabber allow me to connect to a conversation going on in WebEx Connect?

Paul,

Have you checked out the Cisco Jabber for Android page in Google play?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cisco.im&hl=en

That may help address your question. If not, then I encourage you to post back to the community or try the Cisco Support Community, as well, for more information and feedback.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/

Hope this helps,

Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: