cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Precision HD camera offload processing of the H.264 codec from the computer to the camera?

Jignesh Shah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Does the Cisco Precision HD camera offload processing of the H.264 codec from the computer to the camera, rather than providing a baseband video feed which is processed by the codecs within the Movi software?

3 Replies 3

vivsing2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jignesh,

I am sorry, i didn't get your query, can you describe what you want to achieve and what's your setup ?

I think i got your point, you want to offload processing of H264 codec from computer to camera, is that correct ?

If i understood then unfortunately it is not possible, since Camera are only meant to perform PTZ, focus movement as VISCA message are send by codec or any other software. It only send video feed which according to suitable Video codec used by software or device and then compressed or process. So Unfortunately what oyu want to achieve transfer Codec compression and process load on camera is not possible right now.

All the codec specific Process are handle by Device or software using it's CPU.

Regards,

Vivek

mubakhta
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Jignesh,

My name is Mubashshir and I am from the Telepresence Support Team. The concept of Precision HD USB Camera is just like a normal camera which takes the raw video feed and then passes it on to the Movi Software. Now the Movi processes the feed and decides the resolution which it needs to send to the far end. This decision is mainly based upon the bandwidth available. The resolutions supported are :

HD (1280x720) requires a minimum of 1200 kbps.

VGA (640x480) requires a minimum of 442 kbps.

If HD resolution is not achieved despite sufficient bandwidth as described above, this can usually be attributed to one or both of the following:

-Issues with network connection, including packet loss

-Adaptation due to high CPU usage by Movi.

Movi supports both sending and receiving the standards mentioned below. Movi will always use the best standard that is supported by the far end :

-H.264

-H.263+

-H.263

Hope this answers your question. In case of any other queries, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Mubashshir Akhtar

Thanks Mubashshir Akhtar

Hi Jignesh,

Just to add to Mubashshir's reply,

HD (1280x720) requires a minimum of 1200 kbps.

VGA (640x480) requires a minimum of 442 kbps.

this should be your bare minimum upload limit of the total bandwidth

1200 kbps , ideally it should be at least 1.5 - 2 Mbps of upload bandwith for a HD call .