cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Contacts showing as offline when they're not.

danieluk89
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a user who is running Jabber 9.2.0, and is having an issue with his Jabber showing a couple of contacts as offline when they're not.

I found the issue to be with it being integrated with Outlook and the IM Address within the profile of the contact.

If the users IM Address is set to xy@x.co.uk then it will work fine but if it's set to x.y@x.co.uk then it will not work. Originally I changed the contact on Outlook to read correctly for the IM Address and the issue got resolved.

But now it's happening again, and has started to happen on another contact as well. I tried to change the contact in Outlook again but this didn't work for the orignal one that was having the problem. I haven't tried it for the new one yet.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work again?

12 Replies 12

skomazec
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Daniel,

This issue is reported already: CSCuc82455

But the problem is that no logs are provided for this issue.

If you are willing, please send me PRT from both sides - the one which sees wrong Presence and the one that is observed?

If you are not comfortable with this approach please open TAC case on this issue.

Regards,

Srdjan

Hi Srdjan,

Please could you explain what you mean by the PRT?

Thanks,

Daniel

Srdjan,

I have the logs you require. Please could you let me know your email so I can send these to you?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I a few things on top of what Srdjan said. The IM address should be in the format userid@domain.com

You say that you either put it to xy@domain.com or x.y@domain.com

What is 'xy' and what is 'x.y'  ?

Regards,
Christos

Hi Christos,

Correct.

I originally had the problem and changed the IM address in the contact in outlook to read danielg@domain.co.uk (my name for example) which rectified the issue for a while but now it keeps reverting back to daniel.goodenough@domain.co.uk on Jabber.

I tried changing the Outlook contact again but it keeps reverting it.

When you first load Jabber the contact works fine but after about a minute (if that) it reverts back to daniel.goodenough@domain.co.uk which means you can't message the user as they're showing as offline.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks!

Can you tell me where you change the IM address and where you see it changed ?

Is it immediately after you do the change ?

Regards,

Christos

Hi Christos,

I changed it when it the issue first happened in Outlook on the contact card (Jabber is set to integrate with Outlook and yes, I've tried taking this off but that didn't fix the issue). This change showed in Jabber almost instantly when you clicked on the profile of the user it was effecting and hence thought that the issue was fixed.

After a couple of weeks though the issue returned and this time, when I try to edit the contact in Outlook it doesn't make a difference.

I have tried to edit the contact in Jabber itself but it only allows you to edit the name of the person.

Thanks,

Daniel

THanks Daniel,

THe IM address on the IM&P / CUP server is not configurable. From what I know it's built from the server's domain name (System --> Cluster Topology --> Settings) and the userid of the users. The userid depends on the LDAP attribute mapping for the userid in callmanager ( System --> LDAP --> LDAP System)

SO if your userid is mapped to the sAMAccountName attribute in LDAP and your IM&P domain name is domain.com then the IM Address should be sAMAccountName@domain.com

Isn't that the case ?

Regards,

Christos

Christos,

Not that I'm aware of. Whichever way it is configured I think it's fine because this is only effecting one user.

Subject A cannot see subject B as online when he is. However everybody else can see B as online and message him fine. I'm only having the issue with A messaging B.

In A's jabber contact list he can see B as 'Away' but when he opens a chat window it shows him as offline and he cannot message him. So I clicked on subject B's profile and his IM address is showing as daniel.goodenough@domain.co.uk (for example) when it needs to be showing as danielg@domain.co.uk.

danielg@oni.co.uk is the way subject B's IM address appears in mine and everyone elses Jabber but when I cannot edit it to get it right.

Thanks,

Daniel

Ahmed Awida
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Daniel:

Try this:

Complete the following steps to enable presence in Microsoft Outlook for individual users with the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool:

Step 1       Start the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool. You must have administrator permissions to run the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool.

Step 2       Select View in the menu bar and then select the Advanced Features option from the drop-down list.

Step 3       Navigate to the appropriate user in the Active Directory User and Computers administrative tool.

Step 4       Double click the user to open the Properties dialog box.

Step 5       Select the Attribute Editor tab.

Step 6       Locate and select the proxyAddresses attribute in the Attributes list box.

Step 7       Select Edit to open the Multi-valued String Editor dialog box.

Step 8       In the Value to add text box, specify the following value: SIP:user@cupdomain.

For example, SIP:msmith@cisco.com.

Where the user@cupdomain value is the user's instant messaging address. cupdomain corresponds to the domain for Cisco Unified Presence or Cisco Unified Communications IM and Presence.

What Ahmed suggests is correct and should always be there so in case you don't have it configured please do so.

But this is related to similar issues from outlook alone. I suspect that since you have problems with the jabber client itself the above will not fix it.

Do you have access to the IM&P server ?

Regards,

Christos

Christos,

Well I've added in the suggestion from Ahmed said, but I don't know how this will work because it already had in there the one I needed danielg@domain.co.uk for example.

I can't get a hold of the effected user currently so I don't know if it's changed anything but I imagine it hasn't.

I'm assuming he meant to add it on the person who was having the issue (subject A from previous)?

Or did he mean add it to the person that couldn't be messaged? i.e Subject B from previous.

Thanks,

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: