cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Conversation window behavior in deskphone control mode

Mark Congiusta
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

As part of the next release of  Jabber for Windows, we are working through some designs for suppressing  the conversation window when using Jabber in conjunction with a desk  phone. We have heard the numerous requests on this community and  elsewhere for an alternate approach to the current model where anytime a  call is initiated, either from within Jabber or from a CTI controlled  desk phone, the active conversation window comes to the front of the  user's screen. This has created issues for many dedicated desk phone  users who find that this can interfere with multi-tasking and interrupt  other workflows contrary to their desired preference.

In  response we have agreed to explore other options for users who are  looking for a different user experience. We would be very eager to get  feedback to the following questions which will help us prioritize  feature specifics and allow us to confirm or reject our assumptions. Our  questions are:

1. When  in CTI (desk phone) control mode and I make or answer a call from my  desk phone Jabber SHOULD NOT bring the conversation window to the front  of all other open applications, yes or no?
  2. When in CTI (desk  phone) control mode and I initiate a call from within Jabber on my  computer or click "Accept" on the Jabber call toast window on my  computer the conversation window SHOULD come to the front of all other  open applications, yes or no?
  3. Should there be a user option to "Never bring conversation window to the front when in desk phone control mode", yes or no?
  4. If this is a user option, should that user option be checked or unchecked by default?
  5. Should this option (also) be an admin setting, yes or no?
  6. When  in CTI (desk phone) control mode and using desk phone video, the  conversation window SHOULD ALWAYS come to the front of all other open  applications regardless of any user setting, yes or no?

Also,  please share with us any specific use cases that either aren't captured  in our questions or in any previous discussions on this topic within  previous community threads. All general feedback on this feature is  welcome as well.

To  be clear, we are not looking to have people vote rank these features,  we are instead trying to understand as precisely as we can what user  expectations are so we can then design the best solution with the  greatest amount of flexibility to appeal to the most users.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

68 Replies 68

Sean McQuade
Level 5
Level 5

I'd like to add a +1 from me to the as well. We have users using Attendant Console and Jabber and hate the popup so just don't open the program anymore, killing the IM and Presence aspect of it. The only alternative we have is to remove their CTI control of the device from their user account, which kills all deskphone control. To answer the points:

1. When  in CTI (desk phone) control mode and I make or answer a  call from my  desk phone Jabber SHOULD NOT bring the conversation window  to the front  of all other open applications, yes or no? Yes. It should never bring the window to the front while in desk phone mode. What is the point? A big window with massive buttons and a contact picture. Obviously this has a need when in Softphone mode (and with video) but in CTI mode, it seems pointless
  2. When  in CTI (desk  phone) control mode and I initiate a call from within  Jabber on my  computer or click "Accept" on the Jabber call toast window  on my  computer the conversation window SHOULD come to the front of all  other  open applications, yes or no? No, no popup. Again, it's pretty pointless and really annoying for users using UCCX or AC, when they initiate a call from their apps, this opens the jabber window too. This means they need to minimise it before they can transfer/ do other activities.
  3. Should there be a user option to "Never bring conversation window to the front when in desk phone control mode", yes or no? Yes
  4. If this is a user option, should that user option be checked or unchecked by default? Checked by default. Not a feature that many would miss
  5. Should this option (also) be an admin setting, yes or no? Yes, or configurable from jabber-config.xml
  6. When   in CTI (desk phone) control mode and using desk phone video, the   conversation window SHOULD ALWAYS come to the front of all other open   applications regardless of any user setting, yes or no? No

Also as mentioned, the popup when a new IM is received is a much asked-for feature

Ditto to Sean, Tim, Fred, and S-mcnally

Allow us to turn on/off phone popup and *********************turn on/off chat pop-up**************** <---------

Neil Broadley
Level 1
Level 1

This is complaint #2 for our Jabber users. Complaint #1 is (ironically) that they WANT a pop up when someone IM's them.

So, to plaguarise a little :

1.)NO, should not bring to front (preferably let this be a user setting default to NO)

2.)NO, should not bring to front (preferably let this be a user setting default to NO)

3.) YES

4.) default to not bring to front

5.) Sure, why not?

6.) YES, otherwise the user may forget it's a Video Call - with potentially disastrous results (nose picking, rolling eyes, shaking head in dispair, etc)

Additional point - our service desk staff have CTI pop-up on their call management system, so the Jabber pop up clashes badly. This results in them logging out of Jabber. A huge loss for the company, given that they're probably the number one target of most IM's asking for help. The knock on effect of this is that second line staff start getting "help me" IMs, resulting in THEM logging out of Jabber. Eventually, this affects overall uptake across the whole pilot group (currently around 400 staff).

So, yeah. I can't stress how important this feature is, or how badly it's affecting perceptions of an otherwise useful tool.

Dave Jani
Level 1
Level 1
  1. When in CTI (desk phone) control mode and I make or answer a call from my desk phone Jabber SHOULD NOT bring the conversation window to the front of all other open applications, yes or no? Yes, it COULD pop but with the option to disable, as per question 3!
  2. When in CTI (desk phone) control mode and I initiate a call from within Jabber on my computer or click "Accept" on the Jabber call toast window on my computer the conversation window SHOULD come to the front of all other open applications, yes or no? Yes, it COULD pop but with the option to disable, as per question 3!
  3. Should there be a user option to "Never bring conversation window to the front when in desk phone control mode", yes or no? YES!!!
  4. If this is a user option, should that user option be checked or unchecked by default? Checked, always better to figure out how to hide something that to never even realise it exists as an option in the 1st place!
  5. Should this option (also) be an admin setting, yes or no? Yea, why not!?!
  6. When in CTI (desk phone) control mode and using desk phone video, the conversation window SHOULD ALWAYS come to the front of all other open applications regardless of any user setting, yes or no? Yes, it COULD pop but with the option to disable, as per question 3! However, as long as there is an option this ties in with to say do not answer as video by default otherwise you may forget that a video call is in progress if the other party is not visible!

Along with this, I do not necessarilly agree with the popup even for IM (that I have seen requested elsewhere) but should be optional as per question 1, 2 & 3. However, I think a nice feature around this would be a toast pop to indicate a new IM message has been recieved whilst minimised rather than just the flashing taskbar?

wosele
Level 4
Level 4
  1. Not so important - see 3.
  2. Not so important - see 3.
  3. Absolutely yes. User wants to decide by themselves and should be able to do so in most cases (see 5.).
  4. Unchecked (bring in front).
  5. Yes. There should also be an option "Users can't change settings". It would be perfect with the possibility to create different profiles and assign users to them (not in a field you have only in softphone).
    A customer asked for this feature. They have a group of employees, where calls and IMs should bring the conversation window to the front and they shouldn't be allowed to change this behavior.
  6. Yes

Other wishes:

1. Same options for IM.
  2. Option to disable the popup when you click on a tel: link - like in Webdialer.

SEyler
Level 1
Level 1

We are piloting a 2500 jabber user deployment, which again is the pilot for a worlwide deployment, and have a real deal-breaker here...

Service desk and power users in the pilot updating tickets or documents and accepting a call are

- all of a sudden typing in the chat window if its an internal call, possibly sending confidential data to the other side if they hit enter;

- on external calls the other end hears DTMF tones as the user is typing away...???

-> unacceptable and un-professional is the evaluation of this feature not being configurable!

Try typing on the keyboard when the focus is on the call popup !!

All issues can be resolved with

1. yes

2. No

3. Yes, of course an option

4. checked

5. Yes

6. No, video should never start automatically, always a user option

makeyourday...

annmarcu
Level 1
Level 1
  1. When in CTI (desk  phone) control mode and I make or answer a call from my desk phone  Jabber SHOULD NOT bring the conversation window to the front of all  other open applications? As the default, YES...SHOULD NOT POP UP. Should be a user setting if one wants that.  
  2. When  in CTI (desk phone) control mode and I initiate a call from within  Jabber on my computer or click "Accept" on the Jabber call toast window  on my computer the conversation window SHOULD come to the front of all  other open applications, yes or no? NO
  3. Should there be a user option to "Never bring conversation window to the front when in desk phone control mode", yes or no? YES!!!
  4. If this is a user option, should that user option be checked or unchecked by default? Option should be unchecked to start, but very easy to find under Phone settings so I can figure out how to turn it OFF right away.
  5. Should this option (also) be an admin setting, yes or no? It certainly can be, but with User override unless there is some prevailing reason why the user shouldn't be able to opt out of having that annoying box pop up.
  6. When  in CTI (desk phone) control mode and using desk phone video, the conversation window SHOULD ALWAYS come to the front of all other open  applications regardless of any user setting, yes or no? NO not the full window. By default, a tiny pop up that looks like a video camera or some such could ask if you would like to enable the full window with video. But even the small pop-up would be controlled in the settings and could be eliminated as well...and an option this ties in with to say do not answer as  video by default otherwise you may forget that a video call is in progress if the other party is not visible!

Hello.

I installed CiscoJabber-9.6-Drop1, but there's nothing fixed with a pop up call. The whole world is not like this feature Cisco Jabber, but you have already released several versions and do not allow users to remove the pop-up window.

Why? I thought the only problem with the bureaucracy in Russia

Sorry for Google Translate.

AlCooksey
Level 1
Level 1

Will we see this change made at some point? It's causing a lot of our users to reject the Jabber application.

dan cunningham
Level 1
Level 1

This is the biggest complaint we have with our users using the Jabbber client. Most users just quit using it due to the disruption it causing in multitasking while on the Phone. I can't believe there was not an option to set this when this was released. It was available in CUPC for us to disable this function. So when is this going to be added? we are researching other options at this time to replace jabber as this is unacceptable for our enviroment. We are all Cisco shop and this is very disappointing that we have to find another option because of a check box that was not added. this effects every user on every call.

AlCooksey
Level 1
Level 1

We have all our users asking to use Lync instead of Jabber.

Can we get some kind of response from you guys as to the status?

If it's just as simple as "We're working on a fix for the next release", or even a "I'm sorry but we dont want to make this change".

Just some communication would be good.

Hi Alex, Dan, et al.

We have a design solution for this problem based on the feedback to this post. The design is currently prioritized highly on the backlog of user experience features for Jabber desktop clients but has yet to be committed for a specific release. Once we have finalized our delivery backlog for the next release we will post to the community.

Mark

Hello Mark Congiusta.

Hope and expect that at least in Cisco Jabber version 9.7 will be implemented this functionality. Although this will have to be updated to version 10 (CUCM, CUP).

At the moment, users refuse to Cisco Jabber.

Hello Mark Congiusta!

I installed the new version of Cisco Jabber (EAP-Drop3.v9.7.0.18197). And at the moment I have only one question - what the fuck?

When I installed the Cisco Unified Presence I had 2000 users. Because of this damn pop-up window is now 267 users!

The project failed completely. And all because of you that managers can not negotiate with programmers from India.

I must admit that it is better to study the products Microsoft, as demonstrate leadership benefits of Cisco products such pointless.

Jabber 9-6-0-17088 released version. So all of the desired functional disable pop-up call - no : (

Sorry for Google Translate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: