Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM and TEAMS

asmlicense
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

We wants to use Windows Teams on cloud and CUCM on premise. How can we integrate it?

Thanks in advance

75 Replies 75

Easy - you need smart consultants who can do CLI programming on Microsoft side.

A free tip - you need to program CUCM, Microsoft Teams, Your SIP trunk box (may be your Cisco voice gateway router), and the SBC (Session Border Controller); Ribbon SBC works now.

We have Teams clients working on Iphone, Android phones and desktops.

We can make Teams and PSTN calls from both sides.

We at DCC have done many times successfully.

I can give you a demo and presentation.

Please contact me.

Can you provide a bit more insight on this please?

Wondering if you were able to get calling working between MS & Cisco via SIP trunk?

Were you able to get any other features/functions working?

What the the end user experience like?

Thanks,

Paul.

I am in the process of setting up a Ribbon SBC in between Teams and CUCM now. Looks like a fairly easy setup. I'll post any gotcha's we encounter.

I am hoping to use and CUBE or Cisco SBC. But I would prefer a direct SIP trunk from CUCM to TEAMS. My question is how the extensions handled or is this just mainly for PSTN routing?

We use same 4 digit extensions for both Teams & Cucm.

We have Ribbon SBC working in between our cucm and sip trunk.

Tee-mann1,

We have calling interop working with an Audiocodes SBC and SIP trunk. But the local extensions are either in CUCM or routed to Teams. What's the special sauce that lets you use the same extension in both systems? I'm glad to read docs, but knowing what to look for would be immensely helpful.

Many thanks!

@gduke wrote:

Tee-mann1,

We have calling interop working with an Audiocodes SBC and SIP trunk. But the local extensions are either in CUCM or routed to Teams. What's the special sauce that lets you use the same extension in both systems? I'm glad to read docs, but knowing what to look for would be immensely helpful.

Many thanks!

--> I would be interested a lot as well. The only way I know to make it work is to have dedicated extensions within teams and make them ring by single number reach when the cucm extension is dialed. 

The way I did it on my environment was slightly complex and with Skype, but bear with me...

It all depends on putting a prefix on to the person's number on the Microsoft side and if you're using E.164 extns on CUCM (as I was)

Firstly on CUCM we were already using E164 numbering plan (so 1xxxyyyzzzz for US users, 441xxxyyyyyy for UK users etc) but we didn't use + prefix as its a pain to dial a + on a standard Cisco phone.

Let me use 441999888777 as an example.

The Cisco phone has 441999888777 as a DID line and probably has just 8777 as a shortdial.

Configure that user on Skype/Teams with a number +00441999888777 (I know it's sort of invalid looking but it should take 14 digits on Skype or Teams without issue)

Create a SIP trunk between CUCM and Skype or via an SBC to teams.
Now, on Cisco side, add a pattern *1441999888xxx to send the calls towards Skype/Teams, but add a translation for called numbers to remove *1 and replace with +00.

Now your calls diverted or forwarded to a normal extension with a *1 prefix go towards Skype/Teams.
If you're using SNR, the person's alternate extn would be their normal DID with a *1 prefix, or if you just forward all calls to site you could do this via s simple translation for all inbound numbers to add a *1 prefix - this would then be picked up by a route pattern and sent to the Microsoft side.

When the *144xxxxxxxxxx version of the DID is called it therefore goes across to Microsoft side as +0044xxxxxxxxxx

Skype/Teams should accept that and ring the Skype/Teams extn.

When someone on Skype/Teams calls another person on Skype/Teams, they use a URL which would send the calls within Skype/Teams, and the strange +00xxxxxxxxxxx number wouldn't be visible.

When someone on Skype/Teams then calls an external number or phone extn instead, you route that number towards the SBC(if Teams) or to CUCM (if on-prem Skype).   As the calling number comes across the trunk, you remove the +00 from the calling number so it becomes a normal DID extn or external number and allow the call to the extn or out to PSTN.

I did this on an environment covering about 10 countries, and it worked well for us, but it only works as Skype at the time allowed >=14 digit extensions, so that was our 11 digits plus a bit of a prefix.  The end users seemed oblivious mainly to the config as they called each other by 'name' rather than by extn, but if someone on Skype dialed a shortdial extn in their country, we normalized that back to a full E164 number and sent it off down the trunk to CUCM.   There was a bit of hair-pinning of calls if someone did unusual call forwarding, but in our case that was about once a year out of 5000 users.

I would suggest you take a look at your dialplan first though to see if your number plan would support this, as if you're using a short dial plan (i.e. 6-7 digit extns) you might need a more complex set of translations than I had.

David

Just like cucm

You can use the same extensions for both systems

Good luck

If you aren't in sales for Ribbon, you should be.

Looks like a good product.

Vincent Young
City of Chandler AZ

Good luck to you.

tee-mann1
Level 1
Level 1

Easy - you need smart consultants who can do CLI programming on Microsoft side.

A free tip - you need to program CUCM, Microsoft Teams, Your SIP trunk box (may be your Cisco voice gateway router), and the SBC (Session Border Controller); Ribbon SBC works now.

We have Teams clients working on Iphone, Android phones and desktops.

We can make Teams and PSTN calls from both sides.

aguha at dccil dot com

tee-mann1
Level 1
Level 1

Use an SBC, Session Border Controller from Ribbon

Read the manual.

Program the Ribbon SBC to take the SIP trunk.

Get the online manuals for Teams.

Get the online manuals for your CUCM and Voice Gateway.

Then find a CCIE & MCSE engineers who will do this programming.

Takes anywhere between 10 hours to 50-60 hours for an experienced voip programmer.

We were able to do it but paid our CCIE engineer consultant to get it down.

Works really well.

I am sure you will be able to do it.

good luck.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: