Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM Upgrade from 10.5 to 12.0

Hello guys!

I want to upgrade our system from 10.5 to 12.0(1), and I need to know what could be the risk and dependencies. I have publisher CUCM and it has the following services:

- Cisco Unified Communications Manager

- Cisco Unified Communications Self Care Portal

- Cisco Prime License Manager

Cisco Unified Communications Manager:

- Cisco Unified CM Administration.

- Cisco Unified Reporting.

- Disaster Recovery System.

- Cisco Unified Serviceability. 

- Cisco Unified OS Administration.

*Cisco Unity Connection

*Cisco Prime License Manager

*imagical services

there is services under each applications.

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence.

Please guide me whether I can directly upgrade from 10.5 to 12.0 or not??

If its possible is there any additional license cost for this as I have license for 10.5.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mandatory reading is:

A) Upgrade guide

B) Release notes

C) README from ISO file and OVA file

Everything you need to know about the upgrade procedure is there.

What services you have running on a particular server has no relevance for this.

Whether there's an associated cost or not, will depend on your contract status.

As Chris mentioned, smart licensing is now used and you want to make sure everything is ready before you upgrade.

I suggest you watch this Live session: Transitioning to Smart Licensing: Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Cisco Unity Connection 12.x - BRKUCC-2725, they also have a slide with a brief explanation if there might be a cost associated or not.

You might want to approach either a consultant or a Cisco partner so they can assist with this.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  • IMP will have to be upgraded along with CUCM as they need to be on the same version.
  • Unity Connection does not need to match version
  • PLM is gone in version 12 and you will need to convert to SmartLicensing, so make sure you read up on that, create a smart licensing account with Cisco if you don't have one, etc.
  • imagical services is 3rd party so you'll need to check with them on compatibility to see if current version needs to be upgraded (likely)

Best approach is to use Cisco Prime Collaboration Deployment (PCD) app for upgrade/migration of CUCM/IMP.

I also have video and telepresence running in my setup.SO that one also need to upgrade or not??

Telepresence is a solution not a product, so you need to identify all of your applications in use and check against CUCM compatibility, ie.

• TMS
  • Expressway/VCS
  • TelePresnce Server/Conductor
  • MCU
  • CMS
  • ISDN GW
  • etc

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

We are using following Cisco product/application.

*Cisco Prime Collaboration Provisioning

*Cisco Telepresence Video Communication Server

*CUCM

*Cisco Unified Contact Center Express

*Cisco Unity Connection

*CUCM IM and Presence Server

Now please tell me which would be also upgraded with CUCM???

Regards,

Depends on which version each is running.

All of the information can be found in compatibility guides or release notes, have you reviewed those?

Dear Chris,

Thanks for you reply.

We have PUB and SUB in our organization so please guide me with  approach/steps to upgrade the collaboration system.

Regards,

You need to upgrade CUCM Pub before you can upgrade Sub, if you chose to use PCD for the upgrade it will automatically build an appropriate task.  As pointed out previously you NEED to read the release notes and upgrade guide to plan for successful upgrade.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mandatory reading is:

A) Upgrade guide

B) Release notes

C) README from ISO file and OVA file

Everything you need to know about the upgrade procedure is there.

What services you have running on a particular server has no relevance for this.

Whether there's an associated cost or not, will depend on your contract status.

As Chris mentioned, smart licensing is now used and you want to make sure everything is ready before you upgrade.

I suggest you watch this Live session: Transitioning to Smart Licensing: Cisco Unified Communications Manager and Cisco Unity Connection 12.x - BRKUCC-2725, they also have a slide with a brief explanation if there might be a cost associated or not.

You might want to approach either a consultant or a Cisco partner so they can assist with this.

HTH

java

HI,

My License contract is permanent.how will i convert my this PAK license to smart license.I have watched many video but did not find any of them usable.

I will have to convert my current e-license before up gradation or i can do it after it??

can i upgrade using direct Standard method using OS administration as i have PUB and SUB??

Regards,

You have 90 days to register to smart licensing after the upgrade before the system prevents your from doing any MACDs.

You can use the OS admin to perform the upgrade.

HTH

java