Views
Helpful
Replies

CWMS 2.5 System Expansion

dirk.fidorski
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

we are trying to expand a 250 User HA environment running on 2.5 to a 800 user system.

So we deployed the 6 new VMs on 4 new C460 Hardware and attached the old ADM1-HDD4 to the new deployed ADM1.

Unfortunately ADM1 is stuck in the boot process with WebEx logo. When trying to launch for example ADM2 the same happens (so i feel getting stuck is not related to our HDD4 replacement, but rather to a general bootup issue, as ADM2 is just a plain deployed VM with no changes).

The OVA deployment for the new 800-User system was done using a 2.0.1.2 OVA, because the Admin-Guide for 2.5 Expansion states:

"Use the same OVA file you used to deploy your original system and deploy the Admin virtual machine for the new system size."

However we opened up a P1 case and were told that it is not possible to attach a 2.5 HDD4 to a 2.0 ADM VM. And we should go and get a 2.5 OVA from our Account Team (Files could not be provided by TAC).

I actually am not sure why we would need an 2.5 OVA, as the 2.5 Expansion Guides also cover some aspects of using a 2.0 OVA to deploy it, e.g.:

"If you originally created the virtual machines by using the Cisco WebEx Meetings Server 2.0 OVA file, then you might see a "Cannot access server" error message. If this happens, then use the VMware vSphere client and "Restart Guest" for all the virtual machines in the system."

Anyone has experience with this system expansion of 2.5?

My feeling is that the 2.0 machines do not boot up for some other reason?

Thanks

Regards

Dirk

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dirk,

Your new expansion VMs have to be deployed from the OVA of the same base version of the original system. 

For example, if your current system is on 2.5 MR3 (regardless if it was originally deployed as 1.5 and then upgraded to 2.5 MR3), your expansion VMs must be deployed from 2.5 base OVA file. 

You definitely cannot attach HDD4 from 2.5 MR3 system to 2.0 base Admin VM.

-Dejan

View solution in original post

Hi Dirk,

I've filed a documentation defect CSCuu61265 for both statements.

Kind regards,

-Dejan

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dirk,

Your new expansion VMs have to be deployed from the OVA of the same base version of the original system. 

For example, if your current system is on 2.5 MR3 (regardless if it was originally deployed as 1.5 and then upgraded to 2.5 MR3), your expansion VMs must be deployed from 2.5 base OVA file. 

You definitely cannot attach HDD4 from 2.5 MR3 system to 2.0 base Admin VM.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

our current version is 2.5MR1. This is the one that we want to expand.

OVA used to deploy this VMs was 2.0.1.107...Then just minor updates to 2.0MR3, etc, 2.5 and finally 2.5MR1

So as per the Guides that state:

---------

"Use the same OVA file you used to deploy your original system and deploy the Admin virtual machine for the new system size."

"If you originally created the virtual machines by using the Cisco WebEx Meetings Server 2.0 OVA file, then you might see a "Cannot access server" error message. If this happens, then use the VMware vSphere client and "Restart Guest" for all the virtual machines in the system."

---------

We used the 2.0.1.107.

So what you are saying is basically that the two 2.5 AdminGuide Passages above are lets say: "Documentation Bugs"?

Where can I quickly get the 2.5 OVA, it seems not available in Promotional Software Strore. Still 2.0.1.2.

And via PUT actually i can select only Upgrade from 1.x to 2.x (which we basically already have done earlier, exactly as we updated from 1.x to 2.x :) )

Thanks

Regards

Dirk

HI Dirk,

Maybe documentation is not 100% clear on that (not in position to review it at this time, but when I was reviewing it before I was OK with it - I'll check it again on Monday), but it is important that when you deploy expansion VMs that you don't power them ON. They have to stay powered OFF until you attach the VMDK file. Since you deployed 2.0 VMs, you then powered them on and performed updates to 2.5 MR1, your expansion VMs are deployed just like a brand new system and cannot be used for expansion. Hence, that is the main reason why you can't deploy expansion VMs on 2.0 version level if your original system is on 2.5. Expansion process will perform minor updates from 2.5 to MRX, but cannot do it from 2.0 to 2.5 MRX.

What you need to do is deploy 2.5.1.29 OVA 800 users VMs, and leave them powered OFF. Then proceed with attaching the VMDK (HDD4) and follow the steps for the expansion. During that last expansion process, the expansion VMs will automatically update to MR1 that your original system was on.

As for OVA file, unfortunately, you have to go through your Cisco Account Team if PUT tool is not letting you order a new OVA file (new orders of CWMS 2.x OVA via PUT should deliver 2.5.1.29 OVA; not sure why it is not letting you get that). TAC doesn't have access to full installation media. Account Team should have access to Collaboration Software Library and should be able to download 2.5.1.29 OVA and provide you with it.

I hope this will help.

-Dejan

Hi Dejan,

sorry i wasn't very clear. The updates from 2.0 to 2.5MR1 were on the original System to get to 2.5MR1.

We did not perform any update on the "Expansion VMs".

This was just to highlight that the Guides say "Use the same OVA File you used to deploy your original System". Our original System was deployed via the 2.0 OVA, so we again used this one.

Sure, for the new deployed "Expansion VMs" (Installed from 2.0 OVA) we did not power them on, but instantly connected the HDD4 from original System.

Ok, we will continue trying to get an 2.5 OVA.

Thanks

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for clarifying this. Unfortunately, you still need 2.5 OVA. I just looked at the documentation, and I found this sentence: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_5/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide/Administration_Guide_chapter_01000.html#concept_B8ED204A539040D9944E8A8143FDC66A

"

Obtaining the Information Required For System Expansion

Obtain the OVA file used to install the existing system version and complete the expansion checklist:

"

I can agree that this doesn't sound specific enough and will file a doc defect to explain it and possibly include examples.

-Dejan

Hello Dejan,

fully understand.

Just to highlight, the even more "evil" sentence in this document you referenced is under Step 19:

"Use the same OVA file you used to deploy your original system and deploy the Admin virtual machine for the new system size"

To me this sentence was very clear: We need to use the same OVA used to deploy our original system... (which was the 2.0 OVA).

I would have never got to the idea that i need to go to PUT and order a 2.5 OVA as this would have not been the same one used to deploy the original System.

Many thanks for your instant help.

Regards

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

I've filed a documentation defect CSCuu61265 for both statements.

Kind regards,

-Dejan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: