Views
Helpful
Replies

CWMS hardware requirements - some questions

Andrey Z
Level 1
Level 1

Gents,

Can you please explain, what is memory requirements for CWMS 2.7 ?
I would like to deploy 50-user system without HA/redundant.
Admin and IRP proxy will be co-resident on the same server.

I see two tables in the documentation:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/collaboration/CWMS/2_7/Planning_Guide/cwms_b_cwms-planning-system-requirements-2-7/cwms_b_cwms-planning-system-requirements-2-7_chapter_00.html#reference_A11B522B36F14B59A0B83A374908C9E0

Admin and IRP (co-resident)  8 vCPU   36GB ram

Admin/IRP vCPU
Reserved Memory/Total Memory (GB) 
12/14
4/4

What is the correct table ?
I need 8 vCPU / 18GB ram total or 8 vCPU / 36GB ram for this CWMS configuration ???

I see the following notes:

Co-residency with Cisco Unified Communications products on the same physical ESXi host is not supported.

Can we buy B200M4 (20 Cores 2.6 GHz) and use this one blade for CUCM 11/IVR/CWMS on the same server ?

Hyper-Threading. There is no words should be HT enabled or disabled on the ESXi host.
Can you please clarify.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

dpetrovi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

50 users system with Admin and IRP co-residing needs a dedicated UCS server with:

Virtual Machines on ESXi Host (Cisco UCS Server)

CPU Cores

Memory (GB)

Ethernet Ports

Hard Drive Storage Requirement for New Installs

Free Hard Drive Storage Required for Automatic Upgrade from 1.5MR3 to 2.5

Admin and IRP (co-resident)

2 for the Admin virtual machine, including 1 if NIC teaming is used for redundancy

2 for IRP virtual machine, including 1 if NIC teaming is used for redundancy

1 recommended for ESXi management network

1.5 TB; minimum of 7,200 RPM

990 GB

Co-residency with UC products is not supported. CWMS requires a dedicated UCS blade or blades for larger solutions as listed in the Planning Guide.

-Dejan

Hi Dejan,

Thank you for answer.

Please see the attached screenshot.

As you can see, there is Reserved Memory/Total Memory column.

Reserved memory should be reserved.

Can you please explain, what does mean Total Memory in this table ?

I thought, Total Memory is the total memory needed for CWMS.

tom golan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I am also struggling with this type of deployment:

Admin and IRP (co-resident)  8 vCPU   36GB ram      1.5 TB; minimum of 7,200 RPM

What is the meaning of 1.5TB disk ? is that the total amount for both machines? the regular deployment needs 300GB disk for IRP(50 users) and 1.5TB for the Admin(50 users) machine alone....

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

1.5TB is the amount of disk space assigned to the datastore where both Admin and IRP VM will be deployed. 

When you are deploying VMs from OVF template (OVA file), VMs will automatically take the disk space they need, but the Datastore dedicated to these VMs must be of 1.5 TB capacity. 

For example, if you are deploying the system on UCS C-series servers with local storage, you need to create a RAID with 4+ hard disks which will provide you with total usable capacity of 1.5 TB. That is what this requirement is trying to specify. 

I hope this clarifies it a little bit more.

-Dejan

Thanks Dejan! We are making progress :)

from what you are saying 1.5TB will be enough for the Admin and IRP machines and still not sure I understand what makes the difference between the deployment types - total of 1.5TB compared to a regular deployment of Admin and IRP machines that need 1.5TB and 300GB respectively.

what is the difference in terms of deploying steps ?

Thanks!!

Hi Tom,

Each row in the requirements table represents a single UCS server and what can be deployed on it. 

Depending on the deployment size you are looking at, different types of VM combinations is possible.

For 50 user system, you can have your entire primary system on the same UCS server (Admin, IRP and even vCenter) and such server should have 1.5TB disk space capacity.

If you decide to split the VMs accross several UCS servers, then a UCS with Admin VM only will also need 1.5TB disk space, while a UCS server that will have IRP VM only, requires just 300GB of disk space.

Please, let me know of this helps in clarifying how the table is representing different options for deployment.

-Dejan

Dejan,

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation! Everything is clear to me now :)

Thanks again!

Tom.