Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Name for Cisco Jabber

I found a document on Jabber Developer that explains all steps for the Cisco Jabber CUCM Setup Guide (http://developer.cisco.com/web/jabber-developer/jabber-sdk-cucm-guide), the phone type must be Cisco Unified Client Services Framework, everything fine, but says that the Device Name should be as ECP<username> when original setup guides says that must be as CSF<username>.

My users setup Device Name are as CSF<username>, but just to follow a best practice, should I change all Device Names to ECP<username>??

Regards,

Juan Carlos Arias

21 Replies 21

Recommend you to open your own post instead of asking your questions on a ten years old post, that is on top of that marked as solved.

Response Signature

I apologize. I will keep this in mind.

While Roger may have a point on the age of this post, I do want to commend you for at least reviewing old posts to search for an answer - thank you!

With respect to the device name for Jabber in CUCM, the chart above will answer most questions, but you need to prefix it with CSF and it does not matter if the rest matches the CUCM username.  This is because, the association is made via the device association, which is necessary for the user lookup upon logon.  Use logs in, login ID is mapped to CUCM user, is mapped to controlled device association.  To extrapolate, I can associate my user to another user's device for the purposes of testing their device.

Response Signature

Thank you for explaning.

Hi Juan,

We have deployed Jabber for Windows here at our setup as well, and we used CSF  and everything working fine.

Thanks,

Manish

Richard Hermann
Level 4
Level 4

It actually doesn't matter what you name the Jabber client in CUCM.  The intructions that you originally found were for the Web Communicator that is part of the Jabber SDK.  You can create a web page that has a softphone and chat client built in.  For that phone, you will need to name it with the ECP prefix.

I have used the person's ID + 'jabber' as the name. 

kfbaluyut17
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

This is an old thread but I just wanted clarity. Hope someone can clarify.

In the provided link for Jabber documentation, in the CSF it was not mentioned to have a device name that starts with something, unlike the other devices. Please see below:

Cisco Unified Client Services Framework

• Valid characters: a–z, A–Z, 0–9.

• 15-character limit.

Cisco Dual Mode for iPhone

• The device name must begin with TCT.

For example, if you create a TCT device for user, Tanya Adams, whose username is tadams, enter TCTTADAMS.

• Must be uppercase.

• Valid characters: A–Z, 0–9, period (.), underscore (_), hyphen (-).

• 15-character limit.

Cisco Jabber for Tablet

• The device name must begin with TAB.

For example, if you create a TAB device for user, Tanya Adams, whose username is tadams, enter TABTADAMS.

So does this mean if I configure a CSF device, any name with valid characters: a–z, A–Z, 0–9 and 15-character limit will not be a problem? 

Thanks!

Kenneth

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: