Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable Emoticons

Michael Broucek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I want to know if there is an option to disable the jabber emoticons.

haven't found anything about it.

thanks 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no native option to do this, you would need to delete/rename 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Emoticons\emoticonDefs.xml

Or edit the file to remove the ones you want.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

On OSX, there is a separate folder for each language.  For English, the file is in:

/Applications/Cisco Jabber.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Emoticons.plist

Just rename the file and restart Jabber to disable all emoticons.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no native option to do this, you would need to delete/rename 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Emoticons\emoticonDefs.xml

Or edit the file to remove the ones you want.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thank you for your fast response!

it is working.

On OSX, there is a separate folder for each language.  For English, the file is in:

/Applications/Cisco Jabber.app/Contents/Resources/en.lproj/Emoticons.plist

Just rename the file and restart Jabber to disable all emoticons.

There are 2 different things:

- this is a business app, not some cutesy teenager channel... so if we type a line of code, we do not want part of the text to be transformed automatically (but only after we press send... which is really dangerous since we do not see the emoticon we are about to send before it is sent....) into some emoji...

- then there are emoji in a conversations: those are the decision of the sender... and the recipient should see exactly what the user sent (ie: the emojy and not some weird set of ascii characters that the user then has to interpret, while the emoji would have been clear)

We need this to be fixed in jabber natively: there should be an emoji keyboard to allow user to enter actual emojis... and all text should remain text...

If any auto-emoji is still desired by some user, the auto-emoji transformation should happen live so the user can see what will be sent... and can either turn off the auto-emoji for this message or for all message...

If jabber is really a business tool, this needs a proper fix.

Thanks.

Note: there is already an emoticon keyboard... so the user can already clearly state "I want to send an emoji"... so please do not transform text into emoji by default. We need this fixed.

I agree with this. It's so bad that you can't even send a simple file path. "S:\Path" gets translated with an emoji in the middle. Same with "http://thing". It's ridiculous.

I will probably open a case against this. It's not okay. Most IM apps (except Skype, which we don't use) have a setting to disable automatic emojis.

Perhaps this is why Slack is doing so well. There are settings for things people need.

When I can't send common text without interference, this becomes a "need," not a "nice to have."

Sorry, I couldn't read that path. Jabber translated the :\ part to an emoji.

Why would you want to do that? That's no fun!

What if you are trying to pass someone some regex code, and jabber puts in a bunch of smilies instead of the text you wanted...

^(?:[^\[\n]*\[){5}(?P<dest_ip>[^\]]+)[^,\n]*,\s+\w+:\s+(?P<url>.+)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: