cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need Presence Server to use Jabber for IPad only as an audio softphone?

Slavenska
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I need some help to find out if I need a Presence Server to use Jabber for IPad, only as an audio softphone and as an adjunct device, being a 7965 ip phone as the main device considered on a BE6000 solution.

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'll actually ad a bit of clarification to this comment as I think Jonathan believed you were using Jabber for Windows in his post.  Jabber for iPAD actually can be used only as a softphone, but it can also be used for other things.   The Jabber for iPAD application was designed to combine a number of our clients which can be configured separately:

1) Jabber softphone

2) Jabber IM and Presence.

3) Telepresence

So you can configure only the sections you wish to use in Jabber for iPAD.  Alternatively since you only seem to want the usage of the softphone feature you can simply install the Jabber for iPhone application.  This application is only for usage of softphone / deskphone intregration / LDAP Directory and should run fine on an iPAD. 

Please be aware the proper COP files must be installed to use either application.

Regards,

Jason

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. Jabber is an IM&P client at it's core; voice/video/voicemail are all add-on features. The good news is that the Jabber for Everyone makes the IM&P (aka CUP) server software free... assuming you have current ESW/UCSS contract entitlement.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

I'll actually ad a bit of clarification to this comment as I think Jonathan believed you were using Jabber for Windows in his post.  Jabber for iPAD actually can be used only as a softphone, but it can also be used for other things.   The Jabber for iPAD application was designed to combine a number of our clients which can be configured separately:

1) Jabber softphone

2) Jabber IM and Presence.

3) Telepresence

So you can configure only the sections you wish to use in Jabber for iPAD.  Alternatively since you only seem to want the usage of the softphone feature you can simply install the Jabber for iPhone application.  This application is only for usage of softphone / deskphone intregration / LDAP Directory and should run fine on an iPAD. 

Please be aware the proper COP files must be installed to use either application.

Regards,

Jason