cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do participants hear the beep when I mute / unmute?

david
Level 1
Level 1

When I'm on a webex conference call as a participant, I frequently need to mute / unmute.  When I do this I hear a beep on my side.  Do other participants also hear a beep every time I mute / unmute?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, David,

I tested your question in my last Webex meeting. I can hear the beeps as you described when I muted and unmuted myself, but the participants could not hear the sound.

I hope that helps.
Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

angelovbt
Level 1
Level 1

You can use any online tool to test your keyboard and mouse keys. I did the same by using online tool.

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

@Gozde - The mute sound should not be audible for other users regardless of which device you use to join the meeting.  Could you be joining where you have 2 microphones so one of them is playing the mute audible on one of your speakers and the other microphone is picking up the tone?  I participate in a lot of meetings and I never hear a tone when people turn mute on and off so this sounds like something that's happening on your computer only.

Response Signature

I just created my account just to vote for this. Please make it possible to turn off the mute/unmute sound. It is incredibly annoying that I have to hear it myself every time I start speaking or listening. It is not the issue of whether the sound is heard by someone else. It is for yourself that this is trouble.

No, unfortunately "two mics" theory is not the case, I have only one pc. As I mentioned in my comment, I also do not hear other participants' beep sound. Also, other people do not hear my "beep". However, if I record the meeting it also records "my" beep sound, not other participants'. The sound is audible in the meeting records. Because the recorder records every sound coming out from webex and the beep sound is also coming from webex. Maybe you can try it by turning mute on and off while recording a meeting and later listening the recording. And if it's not the case for you, I would like to hear your suggestions to turn the sound off on my webex...

I tested a recording in Webex and muted/unmuted myself and the recording did not include the beep sound at all.  The recording picked up my voice and then there was no audio until I unmuted myself again at which point I could hear my voice again.  The recording did not have any other beeps, clicks, etc. indicating I had ever muted/unmuted myself.  

Response Signature

It can be briefly audible if it is being picked up by your microphone when unmuting, in my experience. That's somewhat mitigated by avoiding speakers if possible, or using a more selective/directed microphone.

If you record your audio from the computer using some other application other than recording the webex meeting natively, then yes of course it would be audible. I don't see any setting in the Webex app to disable the mute tone.

Gozde
Level 1
Level 1

Please add an option to turn off this beep sound.
The sound is annoying and even though it can't be heard by the other participants, it could be heard on the meeting record.
In addition, this issue is regularly brought to you since at least 2017. It shouldn't be that hard.

Second that. I registered for this forum just so I could "like" this comment. Yeah, it's really that bad.

Me, too! I just created my account just to vote for this. Please make it possible to turn off the mute/unmute sound. It is incredibly annoying that I have to hear it myself every time I start speaking or listening. It is not the issue of whether the sound is heard by someone else. It is for yourself that this is trouble.

This is a feature request that is being considered for future updates.  For more information, go to this link:

https://ciscocollabcustomer.ideas.aha.io/ideas/WXCUST-I-3712 

You may want to vote for it as well.

Response Signature

Kathy N.
VIP
VIP

As Kelli Glass mentioned, others aren't able to hear the beep when you turn on/off mute.  If they heard a tone it could have been caused by someone joining/leaving the meeting or another application on their device.  

Response Signature

I tested this beep sound and others hearing it on my calls yesterday.  They can hear a beep when I mute and unmute if the audio source is my laptop speaker (not a cell phone).  If using a cell/landline phone the mute/unmute beep is not heard.  

How can I turn this beep off? My coworker said they could hear the beep. 

keglass
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, David,

I tested your question in my last Webex meeting. I can hear the beeps as you described when I muted and unmuted myself, but the participants could not hear the sound.

I hope that helps.
Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

Thanks Kelli!  that's the behavior I would expect.  It would be incredibly annoying if everyone had to listen to each others mute/unmute beeps.  Cheers!  

It's already incredibly annoying just for me to have to hear the beep. Please turn it off or have an option to turn it off. Zoom doesn't have any sound by default, and I don't think there's even an option for one.  I don't know, but I just really doubt anyone would ever enable such an annoying sound to happen every time you mute/unmute.

Getting Started

Welcome to the Webex Community. This is your home to ask questions, share knowledge, and attend live webinars.