Views
Helpful
Replies

Docking window

j.huizinga
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have a customer where we have installed windows jabber 10.5 and this works fine.

Some of the people have 2 monitors, and one of the questions was if they can move the docking window to the second screen. Apparently this is not possible. We can move the main jabber window to the second screen but not the small docking window.

Is there a setting to move the docking window, or is this only on the 'main' supported.

Thanks

Jan 

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I'm running 9.7.4 and I'm able to move the docked window around as I wish and I just moved it over to my secondary monitor. If I use the built in options, they only place it in my main monitor, but I can click on it and swipe it to the second monitor with no problem, guess it might depend on how your monitors are configured to be, mine are laptop on left, second monitor on right.

I did found an enhancement request for this:

CSCug95157    Ability to drag(manually position) the Jabber for Windows Dock Window 

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hi Jamie

I tried it now myself, and I can drag the dock window to the right corner of the main screen and then the mouse continues on the same height on the second screen, but the dock window stops in the right top corner of the first screen.

I have a similar configuration in my lab and I shall try it on my dual screen tomorrow.

Thank you for your quick answer

Jan

I am using Jabber 11.9 on Windows 10 in virtual XenDesktop spreading over two monitors and I can easily drag the dock from one monitor to the the other. It works for my Windows 10 notebook with two external displays as well. When I remember right this hasn't been working (that easy) for me on older Jabber versions..

suenallbits
Level 1
Level 1

Our company recently upgraded to jabber 11.6.  you used to be able to open the main jabber window, deselect view > Show docked window, move the main jabber window to the preferred monitor, and reselect view > show docked window.  I have noticed that now I have to move the main jabber window to the monitor I want the dock to be on and then select View > Position docked window > and choose either left, center or right.  The dock then moves to that monitor and I can drag it around on that monitor as I wish.  

Hope this helps.

Sue

Keith Hartwig
Level 1
Level 1

I was having the same problem on my computer. I could move the dock around my monitor anywhere, but when going to a second monitor it would stop at the edge and not move over. I found that this is because of my monitor setup. Right click your desktop and go to screen resolution. You need to make sure the top of your monitors align. Because the dock is stuck at the very top, if they are not all completely in line, it stops it at the corner. You can test this out by putting your cursor at the very top of the window and going to the second monitor. If they are not properly lined up your mouse should stop in the corner. 

I don't know how or why, but the dock started out on my external monitor (which is where I wanted it) and then, on a system reset, jumped back to the laptop screen and I could not drag it onto the second screen.

But aligning the tops of the two displays worked perfectly.  Thanks for posting!

s.jordan1
Level 1
Level 1

I had this same problem.  I was able to fix it by making sure my "monitor 1" was to the left of my "monitor 2".  

flip
Level 1
Level 1

The Jabber docking window is an example of very poor design consideration. It doesn't matter which of the available options I choose for its location, it is always in the way and a complete annoyance! Talking to my colleagues around me, we have the same complaint. I realise we can turn the docking window off, but that takes away some functionality. Cisco should look at alternative options for replacement of the docking window functionality that does not impede use of our screen. For example, why not use a system tray icon like Microsoft Outlook and many other apps - we are all used to that and it does not interfere with other windows in the annoying way that Jabber docking window does.

spikycactus
Level 1
Level 1

Solved for me.

I have multiple monitors and could not drag the dock to the second screen.  The mouse moved across but the dock remained.

My monitors are different resolution and were not aligned across the top.  I realigned them in the display settings so the tops of the displays were the same and the dock was then able to move across.

Returned the displays to the original setup, the dock remained on the second monitor and, again, could not be dragged back across to the original monitor.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: