Views
Helpful
Replies

Expressway 8.11x Large OVA to Medium OVA

Lancer
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Team, 

I have deployed a large OVA expressway cluster. I would like to change it to Medium OVA Expressway Cluster. the Expressway Version is x8.11.4. Could you please let me know if i can shutdown the VM and change the vCPU and vRam and boot up the cluster since Large and Medium ova use same 132 GB Disk.  If this procedure is not allowed, is installing new Expressway Cluster using medium Ova and restoring the backup is supported ?.

Please let me know the ideal method to implement. 

Krishna. 

9 Replies 9

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Expressways do not support resizing, and the apps that do support resizing is from less to more resources, not from more to less resources.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/uc_system/virtualization/virtualization-software-requirements.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello Jaime,

I do see the explicit non-support of downsizing a UC VM, but where do you know it's not possible to supersize, from Medium to Large for example? I see some posts mentioning this direction can be done.

Thank you.

Yorick 

See the table of ESXi features Vs products and look at expressways and resize, also the expressway configuration of the ports used for various features changes depending on the OVA that is deployed due to the size and resources available on each OVA option.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

My bad!! Sorry and thank you again Jaime!

Doing a new installation of a medium size and restore backup should be supported. Try it out, it should not have any significance implications, if it would not work you can just start up the original large OVA Expressway and work on a new plan from there.

Response Signature

A warning that CSCvs59766 (https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvs59766) suggests that a restore of a backup performed FROM a "Medium VM" (profile1) system TO a "Large VM" (profile2) system will effectively end up neutering it back to a "Medium VM" system as the 'systemScale' parameter from the medium system is restored.

Be sure to use Postman, curl, or your preferred method to ding the Management API and set it back to profile2 if you go this route. Specifics in the workaround at the bottom of the bug notes above.

Alternately, you can skip the backup/restore rigamarole and instead simply use the method I developed:
* https://community.cisco.com/t5/collaboration-applications/expressway-medium-ova-to-large-ova/m-p/4053882/highlight/true#M42445

Thank you @jdiegmueller for the information. Really nice to add your findings to this post. Definitely worth a +5 (on both posts)

Response Signature

@Roger Kallberg wrote:

Thank you @jdiegmueller for the information. Really nice to add your findings to this post. Definitely worth a +5 (on both posts)

No sweat, @Roger Kallberg and anyone else who finds this useful. 

This pandemic is the real deal.  I have no medical caretaking skills, so this is how I'm trying to do my small little part -- making it easier for other guys like us to more quickly scale-out customers' Expressways with minimal risk, so those people can support the medical professionals working so hard to try and keep us healthy.  Enabling scalabling telework systems is in all of our best interests!

Stay healthy, y'all.

Emmajackson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Krishna,

Yes, you can modify the vCPU and vRAM settings for the Expressway Cluster by shutting down the VM, making the changes, and then booting up the cluster. Since both Large and Medium OVA use the same 132 GB disk, this procedure is supported.

Alternatively, you can also install a new Expressway Cluster using the Medium OVA and restore the backup. Both methods are acceptable, but modifying the existing deployment may be a quicker solution. #solved #CT Scan #Helper