cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure CUC Auto Attendandant to transfer to CUCM extension

Iyad Musleh
Beginner
Beginner

I'm running CUCM and CUC 11.5.1.  I want to create an auto attendant that prompts user to "enter the extension of the person they're trying to reach" and then transfers that call to the CUCM DN/Phone.  Problem I'm running into is, when the entered extension is also a User's extension within CUC, then the call gets sent directly to that user's voicemail greeting, instead of ringing on the user's end point devices first.  If the dialed extension is not in CUC, I get an error recording.  I need the caller to be transferred to CUCM instead of the voicemail.  Can this be done?

15 Replies 15

b.winter
VIP
VIP

Hi,

you could try to add a new CSS without the standard partitions (where all the local user's extensions are) and assign the CSS to the call handler.

CSS and PT work the same like in CUCM.

--- Please rate this post as "Helpful" or accept as a solution, if your question has been answered ---

I gave this a try, but it doesn't make it work. I created a new Search Space, without including the default partition that all the users are part of, and assigned the Auto-Attendant Call Handler to it. When I call the handler and entered any extension, I now get the recording "you cannot be transferred to this number. Please check the number and try again."  It's like CUC doesn't know to send the call to CUCM if it can't find it in it's own database.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Change the transfer rules to transfer to extension or URI instead of greeting.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Unfortunately, selecting this option requires that an extension or URI be hard-coded into the field (attached pic).  Is there a way around this requirement?  I need the user's input to be used instead. 

Screenshot 2022-01-14 085816.jpg

No, if the DN they input is recognized as a DN that exists in CUC, it's going to follow the transfer rules of whoever owns that DN.

What you do, is enter the user's DN, which is the same whoever called the AA input, in that field.

HTH

java

@Iyad Musleh: Have you checked the box under the call handler --> greeting: "Allow Transfers to Numbers Not Associated with Users or Call Handlers"?

@Jaime Valencia: But he doesn't want to reach a DN of a user. He wants to route the call back to CUCM.

If the DN, that the caller inputed is the same, as an extension in Unity, the caller will reach his mailbox. With your logic, you would need a lot of users / call handlers, just to catch all the possible dial-patterns, a user can input, for transfering to CUCM.

Or am I getting you wrong?

The DN is in CM, so he does want to reach a DN of a user if it does have a VM account..

Response Signature

But with this solution, even if it is intended to get into mailbox, you will be also transfered.

And if you have 4-digit DN's in CUCM (so 9000 possibilites), then you need to add 9000 objects in CUC too.

I guess, he wants to split it up:

When the call comes into the call handler, the caller should input die DN and be transfered to CUCM, to ring the DN there.

In every other case, the Unity should work as always (when forward to VM, call into your own VM box, ...)

Read my reply again:

No, if the DN they input is recognized as a DN that exists in CUC, it's going to follow the transfer rules of whoever owns that DN.

Read the first problem:

when the entered extension is also a User's extension within CUC, then the call gets sent directly to that user's voicemail greeting, instead of ringing on the user's end point devices first.

The second issue:

If the dialed extension is not in CUC, I get an error recording.

First issue, already answered, CUC will use the transfer rules, no way around that.

Second issue, you check    and make sure your restriction rules and CSS for the integration allows you reach what you want to dial.

The setting clearly says Numbers NOT associated with users or call handlers, because if the number IS associated to a user or call handler, then the transfer setting from such user or call handler are used.

HTH

java

First issue:

when the entered extension is also a User's extension within CUC, then the call gets sent directly to that user's voicemail greeting, instead of ringing on the user's end point devices first.

But what if I can prevent the call going to the CUC user in the first place? And he even doesn't want that to happen?

What happens with the call, if I only wanna dial the users VM box (no call handler in this scenario)? The call also gets routed back to CUCM because of the transfer rule. I wouldn't want that.

That's why I wrote: I guess, he wants a separation of functions in the Unity. First: "Normal" functions of unity and second: the call handler scenario. And this is achieved with PT/CSS like in CUCM.

Second issue:

Yes, if there is no extension in CUC, then CUC will route the call CUCM (assuming everything is correctly set up).

I think, all that he wants is achievable with only 1 call handler with a different CSS (no settings changed on any other call handler or user).

But I think, we are talking past each other ':-)

I think that you might have misunderstood the way partitions and calling search spaces operates in CUC. AFAIK you can not do what you suggest.

Response Signature

No and no is the answer to your question in this order.

CUC makes a difference between a transfer and a forwarded call, and also knows the difference from a direct call. With this it can differentiate between a call destined to voice mail and a call that should transfer to the extension in CM.

And you should not need to create any thousand of objects.

The setting for transfer is set on each user object in CUC and then you use the setting “Allow Transfers to Numbers Not Associated with Users or Call Handlers” to allow calls from AA to be made for numbers that is not set on a user object.

Response Signature

That is to be set to the directory number of the user that own the mail box. See below example for my VM user.

image.png

Response Signature

Iyad Musleh
Beginner
Beginner

I think i've caught up to all the input. To clarify, the end result I'm looking for is to send whatever extension the caller inputs to ring CUCM first, regardless of its existence within Unity.  To accomplish this, it looks like I need to do the following two things:

1. For extensions for which there's an associated user account in Unity, I need to change each user's Transfer Rule to the "Extension or URI" option.  I think this can be done with the Unity's Bulk Admin Tool.

2. For all other extensions, checking the option "Allow Transfers to Numbers Not Associated with Users or Call Handlers" from within the Greeting settings, should be all that's needed.  However, assuming a valid CUCM DN is input, but still results in the "you cannot be transferred..." system error, then it's likely a configuration issue between Unity and CUCM.

Does this sound accurate?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: