Views
Helpful
Replies

How to Disable Chat in Jabber

omarsoto100
Level 1
Level 1

Good Day:

I have a weird requirement....  My management team likes the Jabber for Windows Client, but is uncomfortable with the chat feature.  Is there any way to rollout Jabber,with the chat feature disabled?

Thanks..                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can do this by:

CUPS -> Messaging -> Setting -> Enable instant messaging

You need to restart the XCP router for the setting to be picked up.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Is the backend CUPS or webex?

The backend is CUPS. 

Yes, you can do this by:

CUPS -> Messaging -> Setting -> Enable instant messaging

You need to restart the XCP router for the setting to be picked up.

Thank you very much.  We will make the necessary adjustments.

Thanks,

Omar

I did that but unfortunately the chat option still appears when you click on a contact. This only remove the chat icon on the left side of Jabber but not the funcionality itself, could it be because the version of the call manager is 11.5?? 

Thanks!

Forget my last post, even though the chat icon appears on the contact when they try to send something through the chat a message appears saying that is not allowed.

Under User Management / End User / <user> disable "Enable User for CM IM Presence...."

With that only this user will not have connectivity to IM&P.

Carl Ratcliffe
Level 3
Level 3

Does anyone know how to turn off chat for individual users and not globally. We are looking at a Global deployment of Cisco Jabber however there are going to scenarios were we need to disable chat completely for users or whole teams. We still want the client for Presence and voice functionality.

If you deploy in phone mode you don't get presence information.

Thanks, Carl

Unfortunately, there is currently no way of doing  this.

Thanks for your reply. I thought as much as i have searched everywhere.

Thanks, Carl

This post was back in 2014, is there a way now to disable the chat functionality on a user level?

Thanks in advance,

PFCU team

No, it's either a global setting, or you configure their Jabber in phone only mode.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Just curious, If I disable instant messaging in Presence, will the clients keep the chat history. I am leaning towards yes, but could someone please confirm. 

No, it wont keep Chat history and for Disabling the IM option on Jabber you need to update policies in XML file and update it on the CUCM, That would fix it  and you can just use jabber as softphone with no IM.

Let me know if you need more insight on this.