cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to disable Proximity in Jabber 12.6?

user101111
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to disable proximity in Jabber using the jabber-config.xml file but am not sure if it is working. Here are the contents of my jabber-config.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<config version="1.0">
<EnableProximity>false</EnableProximity>
</config>

I have placed this file in the following location:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\Config 

When I reset and sign into Jabber it still shows "Connect to a device" in the bottom of Jabber. When you disable proximity is it supposed to make the "Connect to a device" option disappear or just make Jabber unable to connect to a device if it locates one?

Also is it possible to disable proximity using a flag or option when installing the .msi? I want it to be globally disabled for any user that logs into a computer and signs into Jabber.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No, that's completely wrong, ever since Jabber was introduced there has been a jabber-config.xml file which holds parameters, which on CUCM 12.5 and IF using Jabber 12.5+ has been replaced by a UC service which is just a GUI for the exact same parameters you would use in the .xml, you still have to choose if it's a client, options, etc. parameter, and then choose the parameter and its value.

And that last thing, is what you're missing. You just entered a parameter, without using the proper format.

Look at the example in page 4, XML structure, the < parameter > is inside a tag that determines if it's a client parameter, an options parameters, etc. Look at the example below, and you will see the same format. 

On your CUCM version there's no option, you have to manually configure the .xml, upload to your TFTP, restart the TFTP service, and then either wait for Jabber to refresh the configuration, or reset Jabber so you force it to download all the files again.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Config files on recent releases are encrypted and can only be downloaded from CUCM, so, it wouldn't work that way.

And your formatting for the .xml is also wrong.

Fix your formatting, and then upload to your CUCM, reset Jabber, and that will do what you're asking for.

HTH

java

Thank you for the reply.

We are running CUCM 10.5. I read that downloading the Jabber config file requires CUCM 12.5

Would you be able to help me fix the formatting? The only thing I want the jabber-config.xml file to do is disable Proximity. I tried to make it as basic as possible. I used the configuration example on page 4 of the reference guide: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_6/cjab_b_parameters-reference-guide-cisco-jabber_12-6.pdf

Also, do you know if there is a way to disable Proximity using a flag or option when you install the MSI? 

No, that's completely wrong, ever since Jabber was introduced there has been a jabber-config.xml file which holds parameters, which on CUCM 12.5 and IF using Jabber 12.5+ has been replaced by a UC service which is just a GUI for the exact same parameters you would use in the .xml, you still have to choose if it's a client, options, etc. parameter, and then choose the parameter and its value.

And that last thing, is what you're missing. You just entered a parameter, without using the proper format.

Look at the example in page 4, XML structure, the < parameter > is inside a tag that determines if it's a client parameter, an options parameters, etc. Look at the example below, and you will see the same format. 

On your CUCM version there's no option, you have to manually configure the .xml, upload to your TFTP, restart the TFTP service, and then either wait for Jabber to refresh the configuration, or reset Jabber so you force it to download all the files again.

HTH

java

I understand now. Thank you for you help.

Hi Jamie,

Can you tell us where in the UC service you can disable proximity for CUCM 12.5?  Under the old jabber config file it was a policies.  But when I build a UC service and go under policies it is not listed.

Thanks!

As always great posts!

Looking at my lab server (base 12.5) I cannot find it where it should be, but you were never going to find it as you were looking in the wrong place. Look at the parameter reference guide to see where the parameter actually belongs to, doesn't go under policies.

Any parameter that is not in a dropdown, should use the add custom option.

HTH

java

Thanks Jaime!  Worked.  I added the parameter as a custom option.  Appreciate you posting back!

duplicate post