cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to update Cisco IP Communicator for 3k+?

SubnetZero1
Level 1
Level 1

We would like to update 3000 Cisco IP Communicators to the newest version which is 8-6-6-25. 

Currently, all staff has version 8-6-0.

We want to make sure we keep the Device Name AND TFTP values after the upgrade.

How can we do this without losing Device Name and TFTP IP Address? 

6 Replies 6

jim-j
Level 3
Level 3

You sure you want to put the effort into upgrading CIPC when it's EOL?  Its last day of support is 30SEP2022.

Yes... 

Long story short, the pandemic forced us to use another form of communication through our dialer.

Unfortunately,  we need to use two different cluster with no sip trunk between them. 

Jabber is already being used in 1 of them therefore we must use cipc. 

@SubnetZero1 wrote:

Jabber is already being used in 1 of them therefore we must use cipc. 

Yeah, reality often gets much messier than whitepapers.    Just one other thought that almost certainly won't be helpful...  The Webex app can be used as an on-prem softphone (just like Jabber).  I suspect with enough command line installation kung-fu you could have the Webex app hit one cluster and the Jabber softphone point to another cluster.

Any documentation on doing this?

We have Webex teams and would love to get this instead of Jabber/CIPC switch.

Thanks. 

jim-j
Level 3
Level 3

Using Webex as a UCM softphone is well documented, like in the "Align Calling" section here:
https://help.webex.com/en-us/article/09t04o/Upgrade-Jabber-with-Messenger-to-Webex#id_136205

The trick would be getting Jabber and Webex to both run simultaneously and connect to different clusters. By default they discover services exactly the same way (via DNS records). What I'm not sure about would be the exact steps to force one them to an alternate cluster (or if it's even possible). Below are some notes on command line switches I've used to change the service domain and/or jabber-config.xml with Jabber (haven't tried with Webex). I'm not saying these are helpful, but it's all that I've got...

msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /qb! CLEAR=1 SERVICES_DOMAIN=example.com TFTP_FILE_NAME=jabber-config-test.xml

[Service Domain]
The service domain is stored here:
$env:AllUsersProfile\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\jabber-bootstrap.properties
aka
%AllUsersProfile%\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\jabber-bootstrap.properties
C:\ProgramData\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\jabber-bootstrap.properties

Can set this with this command:
msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /quiet CLEAR=1 SERVICES_DOMAIN=example.com
or with some feedback
msiexec.exe /i CiscoJabberSetup.msi /qb! CLEAR=1 SERVICES_DOMAIN=example.com

Adam Pawlowski
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The voice services domain equivalent is configured in the Webex Control Hub, so it is possible if you have separate enough infrastructure, to configure that domain and run that client. I don't think there are any specific caveats to this other than the usual ones of running multiple UC clients on a workstation, and the conflict in control of I/O devices, URI handlers, etc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: