Helpful
Replies

IM address mapping and internal vs external Domain

ryan_oconnell
Level 3
Level 3

Hello all,

I have 2 questions:

1. My customer uses and internal domain of "domain.loc" for all their servers etc. Their external domain is "domain.ca" When I installed CUPS 8.6.4 for them to use with Jabber for Windows client. I am noticing that the IM feild is being mapped to "sAMAccountName@domain.loc". Do I need to be concerned with this mapping being to the internal domain name if they want to federate with external sources?
  2. How is the IM address created. I looked in ADSI edit and don't see it anywhere in there. Does it just take the "sAMAccount" and prepend whatever domain the CUP server is in?

Thanks All

8 Replies 8

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Ryan,

The im address is generated in two ways.

The default mapping is sipuri=msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress.

If this field in populated in AD, it will use this field. If it is not, then it will auto-generate the im address. As you said, it is populated as saMAccountName@domain. The domain value is what you specified in CUPS.

If you are federating with external servers like gtalk, then the hostname will need to be resolvable to an IP,

- Colin

In my case I have the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress populated with "First.Lastname@domain.ca" yet my IM address is still showing to be saMAccountName@domain

We would like to federate, in the near future how do I change the behavior we are seeing

Ryan

Apologies for the confusion. In Jabber, it only uses the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress if the following parameters are set:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg_chapter_01010.html#JABW_RF_D377660F_00

So you are correct that the default is:

saMAccountName@domain.

As I said the domain needs to be resolvable to be a public ip address to federate

Ok to clarify

If I add the following to my jabber-config.xml file. Then my IM address will change from saMAccountName@domain.loc to the value I has specified in the "msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress"

true

Correct. But you probably don't want to do that as the users in CUPS are probably synced from CUCM with the im address of samAccountName@domain.

Ok to clarify

Coflaher,

My end goal is to use Jabber for windows as an internal IM client which currently works fine as "saMAccountName"@domain.loc. I would also like to be able to federate to services listed under the Interdomain Federation section of the document you refered to above.

How should my IM address field read? Since you say it needs to be resolvable from external sources. This leads me to believe my IM field should read "firstname.lastname"@domain.ca instead of "saMAccountName"@domain.loc

Yet when add the following to my jabber.config.xml file it seems to loose it's mapping to all the other fields in AD.

This part of the documentation doesn't seem entirely clear. Your assistance is much appreciated.

true

Sorry, for the confusion here.

What need is to have

saMAccountName@domain.ca.

The saMAccountName is the default prefix for the IM address. Users are initally synced down from AD into CUCM.

There are 5 options:

saMAccountName

mail

employeeNumber

telephoneNumber

userPrincipalNumber

The default is saMAccountName so default it'll be

saMAccountName@domain.

If  you use domain.loc as the domain then messages will not be able to  routed external as it won't be resolvable to an external IP. You will  need to change the domain of cups to domain.ca.

Coflaher,

I am drawing the same conclusion that the domain name used on the CUPS server will need to be updated. Unfortunately this means new licensing amongst other things.

I appreciate your assistance on this matter, I will proceed to open a TAC case to conferm our dialog and a process to rectify.

Thanks