Views
Helpful
Replies

iPad BlueTooth audio routing issue

hwarren02
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our front desk person uses an iPad with BT ear piece to answer calls while mobile throughout the building and it has worked great until recently. The strange thing is this issue is intermittent and difficult to troubleshoot: At times calls will come in and the user will hear the "ring" in her ear piece, but when she answers suddenly the voice audio of the caller is routed through the iPad speaker.

We have tried tapping the icon to change the audio device in the Jabber app, but it promptly changes itself back to the device speaker. The iPad is up to date with latest Jabber client and iOS versions. I do know the user does sometimes listen to streaming audio via a separate app, and I thought maybe it was being aggressive about sharing audio routing...however no other apps are active while I have been troubleshooting.

iPad reboots don't seem to fix the issue as I have tried that as well as closing/killing the Jabber app and re-opening. It is intermittent so I'm not able to pinpoint a cause. In fact, the user grabbed the iPad from my desk while I was off site thinking I had fixed it and it worked for a time but she just brought it back to me saying it was having the issue again.

Thank you for any assistance.

4 Replies 4

Md Hasan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a high chance that iPhone is loosing connection/unable to keep a good connection to the BT device. Has another BT device (different manufacturer/model) tested against Jabber? Most likely not a jabber specific issue.

We have been using this specific combination of iPad and Bluetooth ear piece for several months and the issue only recently started to occur. It is not a connection issue as other sounds still come through the BT device, even incoming calls ring in the earpiece as I mentioned. As soon as someone picks up the call the audio switches to iPad speaker. There are no other BT devices associated to the iPad.

This combo is generally only used when this user needs to leave her desk so the proximity of the two devices is very close.

This may not necessarily be a proximity issue, but how Jabber discovers the device thru iPhone's BT. Since other devices are working fine, this could be Jabber unable to communicate with this specific BT device for some reason anymore (firmware update, iOS update etc)

Didn't find any known defects on this issue. However, I would still recommend testing another BT device to rule out this specific BT devices communication issue with Jabber for Bluetooth.

Most likely a TAC case would be good at this point.

Okay, I will have to check with my manager about submitting a TAC case as I don't have that account information handy.

It's just odd that it will work normally for a while and then not work correctly (as described) and then all the sudden work again for a time.