cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iPhone Jabber client

fdouble08
Level 1
Level 1

When I use the Jabber client on an iPhone, and open a chat session with a colleague, if I press the "+" button next to the emoticon symbol above the keyboard, I get the icons for "Phone Call", "WebEx Meeting", "Camera", "Photo", "Video", "Cloud", and "Cached files".  Only the "Phone Call" icon is selectable.  All the others are greyed out.  I'm assuming that I should be able to use the iPhone integrated camera to take a picture and insert it into the chat session with the "Camera" button, or use the "Photo" or "Video" button to insert photos or videos from the iPhone's local storage.  I checked the iPhone settings and Jabber does have access to use the camera.  Does anyone know why these options would be greyed out?

When I'm using the iPhone IM app, it lets me use the camera and insert photos or video from local storage.  So, I'm assuming that the jabber chat should feature similar capabilities.  Is this not the case?

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

chris henderson
Level 1
Level 1

hey ,

try chat session from Iphone to desktop user and see if you encounter the same issue , 

from my iphone it works with desktop users but not other mobile clients , currently trying to fix . 

It does not work for me whether I open an IM to another desktop client or iphone client.  It's like the Jabber client does not have access to the camera in IOS, but I've checked all those settings and nothing is set to not allow access.

Hi fdouble08,

Please suggest if you were able to resolve the above mentioned issue.

I have the same case.

Please suggest.

With Kind Regards,

Fahim Sha.

Gladly! 

I have not yet resolved the issue.  However, I have found that the these features work when I connect the iPhone Jabber client after connecting to my IntraNet via the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client for iPhone.  This narrows the failure to the use of the MRA-C and MRA-E servers.  Mine are version X8.5.

I opened a TAC case and was referred to the MRA X8.5 deployment guide where it lists unsupported Jabber features when using MRA ( Mobile and Remote Access ). 

They are :

Directory access mechanisms other than UDS

Certificate provisioning to remote endpoints e.g. CAPF

File transfer (except when operating in hybrid Webex mode)

Deskphone control (QBE/CTI)

Additional mobility features including DVO-R, GSM handoff and session persistency

Hunt group/hunt pilot/hunt list

Self-care portal

Support for Jabber SDK

Shared lines are supported in a limited way. Multiple endpoints can share a line but in-call features (like hold/resume) only work on the first endpoint that answers. Endpoints sharing the line may not correctly recognise the state of the call.

Note that file transfer, which is what is done when you send a picture or other non-text data via IM, is not supported.  So, that is why the features are greyed out on the iPhone Jabber client when I'm using it through our MRA servers.

However, in the X8.6 MRA deployment guide, the unsupported Jabber features is listed differently.

Calls to/from additional lines on IP phones and endpoints that support multiple lines; only the primary line is supported via Mobile and Remote Access

Directory access mechanisms other than UDS

Certificate provisioning to remote endpoints e.g. CAPF

Features that rely on the SIP UPDATE method (RFC 3311) will not work as expected because the Expressway does not support this method. For example, CUCM and endpoints use UPDATE to implement blind transfer, which does not work correctly via MRA.

Peer-to-peer file transfer when using IM and Presence Service and Jabber is unsupported via MRA

Managed File Transfer (MFT) with IM and Presence Service 10.5.2 (and later) and Jabber 10.6 (and later) clients is supported via MRA

File transfer with WebEx Messenger Service and Cisco Jabber is supported via MRA

Deskphone control (QBE/CTI)

Additional mobility features including DVO-R, GSM handoff and session persistency

Hunt group/hunt pilot/hunt list

Self-care portal

I have asked TAC if in MRA X8.6 the file transfer method used by IM would be supported, but have not yet gotten a response.  If anyone else reading this is running MRA-E/MRA-C on version X8.6, CIM&P 10.5.2 or later, and Jabber iPhone client 11.0 or later, please let me know if the camera and other options are available in IM sessions.