cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is Cisco Unified Presence Server mandatory to use Cisco Jabber for Voice communications?

pkk.261184
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Techies,

We are working on a Cisco Jabber Implementation on our enterprise network. We have to roll out Jabber for clients like Window 7, Win XP, IPAD/IPHONE, Android, MAC Machines.

Currently we have CUCM 7.x. and there is NO Presence server installed in out environment. Kindly advice if Cisco Unified Presence Server is mandatory to be used with Jabber clients for above devices to use them for only Voice communications or if the Jabber clients can directly be registered in CUCM directly. If yes, Kindly suggest us on the version of CUCM which best supports this feature.

Regards,

Karthikeyan keyan

20 Replies 20

coflaher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Documentation for Jabber is here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_0_1/b_jabber_win_icg.html

Supported versions of CUCM is mentioned in the documentation.

Jabber is a replacement client for CUPC. It is not supported having the two clients on the same PC.

Let me know, if you've any further questions.

- Colin

Dear Colin,

Thanks for your response, I'm sorry, I've made an error in the question.

I was referring to Cisco Unified Presence Server which I've mentioned as CUPC by mistake.

Kindly let me know if Cisco Unified presence server is mandatory for use of Cisco Jabber clients in Windows, IPAD/IPHONE & Androids to use for Voice communications.

Thanks,

kk

So there is two options:

1. CUPS Backend - OnPrems

2. Webex Messenger - Cloud

You should contact your account team to understand which service is best suited.

Currently, the clients need a presence server to log into in order to use the voice capability.

- Colin

Hi

so still I am not sure ( sorry if I am not able to understand this correctly) whether we require IM&P server or not for Cisco Jabber for Windows, iPHone,iPAD ,Android devices?

I think earlier we used to have different client types based upon the device, my understanding is now we have one Jabber client only ( whatever be the device) even if you want to use Jabber only for Voice and Video or you want to use Jabber for IM&P , Voice and Video still the client is same, correct me if I am wrong in my understanding?

now at backend if I am using Jabber only for Voice and Video than I think I do not require IM&P server else I have to have the IM&P server

I am talking about version 10.5/10.6/11.x

Please correct me if I am wrong?

ST

Correct, for some platforms like iPad there were up to 3 clients, for different purposes. Now, it's just one Jabber client for each platform, and depending on the config, is the capabilities.

http://docwiki.cisco.com/wiki/Jabber_FAQ#How_do_I_configure_Jabber_to_work_in_phone-only_mode.3F.3F

The above theory is transferable to any mode you want to use Jabber, and that depends on:

A) If you have a device in CUCM for it to register

B) The services in your service profile

You'll end up with jabber in

a) IM&P only mode (no device in CUCM) but IM&P in service profile

b) a device in CUCM, no IM&P in service profile, phone only mode

c) A device in CUCM, and IM&P service profile, full UC mode.

I also strongly suggest you to review the relevant Jabber documentation, in case you have not reviewed it already.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

there are two modes in which jabber for windows can function;

-> Phone mode only; where it only performs the task of a softphone client and does not indulge into im and presence activity for this you dont need a presence server; only a call manager server is needed in order to cater for softphone registration.

-> the second type is the full blown im and presence mode; that gives you the following option;

capability to be send receive im's and also check status of users and on top of that you get the option of phone control ( both softphone and deskphone).

refer to the following link for more information;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/9_2/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config/JABW_BK_C9731738_00_jabber-windows-install-config_chapter_0100.html#JABW_RF_S1962ED0_00

a visual difference between im and p and phone mode only screen for jabber for windows can be checked from the following link;

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/unified-communications/jabber-windows/116446-technote-product-00.html

< in the above link it talks about cups knowledge does not mean that phone mode only deployment needs this ; its just meant to understand the difference between the two).

i hope this helps.

Thank you very much for the useful info.

hamed1900
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber for Windows, Presence Server is a must although in Version 9.X most of the configuration for Jabber moved to CUCM 9.X, but still Presence Server is a MUST.

Jabber for iphone, android you would not need presence server, however, you wont have presence. Just you can make/recive Calls.

Hope it helps,

Hamed

Thanks much Hamed & Colin, It is really helpful info.

Could you please share a document on how to configure & register an IPHONE/IPAD on a call manager without CUPS.

Regards,

kk

Unless you install the Jabber IM client separately on the iphone. the IM client can do what it says; IM and does require a CUPS

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Thanks for your response, But What if I go with Webex on cloud (As we already have this for IM and presence feature) for Cisco Jabber for windows ? Are there any known bugs which you can mentioned while using Cisco Jabber client for Windows with Webex connect server on cloud ?

A cloud deployment with Jabber for windows is fully supported.

Thanks for that Coflaher. So do you mean to say that Cisco Jabber for Windows is fully supported in Webex cloud based deployment ? and is it recommended architecture as per Cisco / will it be supported by Cisco TAC ?