cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 10.6.2 Slowness and Sound Problems

jasonfnb2007
Level 1
Level 1

We are testing out Jabber 10.6.2 before we deploy it to our users and are running into a couple of problems. After updating Jabber seems to be sluggish when typing in a conversation window and its CPU usage goes up when you do that. Also, when receiving a message the notification sound is very drawn out and sounds more like a long radar ping than the normal jabber "ding". Has anyone else noticed these issues with 10.6.2?

We are running it on Windows 7, both 32 and 64 bit.

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

We had the slowness/lag issue reported in the bug while using 10.6.0, so we finally just upgraded from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4.  Upon upgrading, we found the "distorted" imAlert sound issue.  We opened a Cisco support ticket and they did a Webex and claimed there was nothing in Jabber that controls how to play the sound, so it's nothing they can fix.  However, playing the imAlert.wav file with any other media player (or even using the Sounds panel in the Control Panel to play the imAlert.wav) works just fine.  

Anyways, I ended up editing the 10.6.0 imAlert.wav file to get it working in 10.6.4 (we like the old sound better than the newer one).  I've attached it here in case you want to try it out.  Let me know how it goes for you.  It's working well for us.

It just sucks that Cisco pointed the finger at us and didn't do a thing to resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Chris Smalley
Level 5
Level 5

Noticing the same things with 10.6.2 - Actually noticed the sluggishness in 10.6.1 which is one of the reasons we upgraded. 

As for the the Jabber "ding"...they changed the notification. From the release notes:

Louder IM Alert

When you receive a new IM, the alert that you hear is louder to help ensure you don't miss new messages.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/Windows/10_6/rn/JABW_BK_C6A8A6C3_00_cisco-jabber-for-windows-10_6-release-notes.html#JABW_RF_NC555C58_00

The .wav file is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber\Sounds\imAlert.wav 

I've uploaded the original if you want to replace it. 

Ah, I see. That makes a little more sense then. I navigated to the .wav file and when I play it through media player it sounds fine. I pulled the original from one of our non-upgraded workstations and replaced it on my computer. Jabber now plays the old sound again, but it is still distorted. So it must be Jabber's attempt to make the sound louder that is causing the distortion.

Thanks for that info!

Basically we encounter the same laggy issue.

It is mentioned in the bug:

CSCuu02593    Jabber 10.x getting Delay and slow response after Microsoft KB3038314

The problem is, when Cisco is going to resolve it? This refrain us from upgrading to this version. We have been waiting for this version for long time as it resolve the VPN re-connection issue but now it introduce another more user noticeable issue.

I uninstalled that update and it did resolve the slowness, however, it did not fix the sound issue. Thanks for the reply, and yes we too are unable to deploy 10.6.2 until these issues are resolved.

Regards,
Jason

We had the slowness/lag issue reported in the bug while using 10.6.0, so we finally just upgraded from 10.6.0 to 10.6.4.  Upon upgrading, we found the "distorted" imAlert sound issue.  We opened a Cisco support ticket and they did a Webex and claimed there was nothing in Jabber that controls how to play the sound, so it's nothing they can fix.  However, playing the imAlert.wav file with any other media player (or even using the Sounds panel in the Control Panel to play the imAlert.wav) works just fine.  

Anyways, I ended up editing the 10.6.0 imAlert.wav file to get it working in 10.6.4 (we like the old sound better than the newer one).  I've attached it here in case you want to try it out.  Let me know how it goes for you.  It's working well for us.

It just sucks that Cisco pointed the finger at us and didn't do a thing to resolve the issue.

That is indeed a bummer that Cisco isn't taking responsibility for it because, like you, we can play the .wav file outside of Jabber just fine.

We tried your modified .wav file and it works! Thank you so much!

-Jason

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: