cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 11.8 with mysterious Profile Pictures

Rene Mueller
Level 5
Level 5

After Upgrading from Jabber for Windows 11.5.5 to 11.8.2 I now see all my contacts profile pictures with the same mysterious picture. I never saw this picture before, so it is not created from my jabber cache, maybe it is a sample picuture within jabber?! After reseting the jabber config on the client, my profile pictures are looking fine.

See Screenshot attached.

Any Ideas, maybe a Bug?

BR

Rene

5 Replies 5

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How is your Jabber configured to get the pictures?

AFAIK Jabber doesn't come with any picture by default, you'd need to look at a PRT to try to find where it got that picture from.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

I have the same problem upgrading from 11.5(3) to 11.8(3). Reading the bug report I see it's been fixed but I still get the same results.

Testing a clean install of 11.5(3), I reset Jabber then upgrade to 11.8(3). Once 11.8(3) loads an image appears that was one of my AD searches prior to the upgrade. If I then do a Jabber Reset all is working well. The problem is that I can't ask +5000 users to do a manual Jabber Reset after the 11.8(3) upgrade.

Just for reference, here is my version history while testing: 11.7(0) -> 11.8(2) -> 11.5(3) -> 11.8(3). Direct upgrades from 11.5(3) to 11.8(2) also works perfectly fine.

Images are from AD directly - one of the AD properties if I remember correctly. I don't have a separate Image server. I will check to see if I can pin it down myself with a PRT.

*Update: I did a Jabber Reset in 11.8(3) ONCE and since then tried several downgrades/upgrades without the issue returning. Unfortunately if I can't find the cause I can't upgrade my install base with confidence.

Ingo

TAC confirms that the fix for this bug is NOT included in 11.8(3), it must have been a typo. The fix is scheduled for 11.8(4). The Bugsearch tool has been updated to show the bug is again in an Open state so we have to wait 'til +- end of May for the fixed release.

*Update: 11.8(4) released and still we have issues with contact photos. TAC confirms we hitting new bug CSCvc81058. At this point we still await a proper fix as resetting Jabber will fix the issue on individual PCs but on +5000 PCs it's not a workable solution.

Cyril Albert
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Maybe you are hitting this caveat
J4W contact photos do not match user. Jabber photo cache containis incorrect photo.
CSCvc06877

Cyril

Ingo de Jager
Level 1
Level 1

Jabber 11.8(5) finally fixed the issue. I had a TAC case open for very long and the issue is now sorted on my side. See extract from release notes below.

CSCvf02727

Contact pictures not showing after upgrade to Jabber 11.8.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: