Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 9.1 doesn't register protocol handlers

lra-fg-ger
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

after installing Cisco Jabber for Windows there aren't any protocol handlers registered in the registry. The registry key listet in the Installationguide are not found on the system. I tried it with enabled and disabled UAC. The same. Also on a system with Cisco Jabber 9.0 the registry entries are missed.

Jabber version is 9.1.3 build 12296. Any ideas?

regards

Ralph

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ralph

There are a bunch of references I guess you have seen to UAC causing this.

The other element is that the user you are logged in as must be an administrator to write to those reg keys (listed at

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2160563) regardless of UAC state.

Is your user an admin?

IMO it's a design flaw - if they want to write to system parts of the registry when a user runs the thing, they need to loosen up the permissions on those keys at the time of install... and that's bad practice really. It should be written at install, not at runtime.

One solution might be to export the keys from a working machine (e.g. maybe build a fresh install of windows or use any existing non-domain box if you don't have a working machine), then export those handler reg  keys. You could then distribute them via GPO or whatever.

Or.... wait for Cisco to fix it :-)

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Ralph

There are a bunch of references I guess you have seen to UAC causing this.

The other element is that the user you are logged in as must be an administrator to write to those reg keys (listed at

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2160563) regardless of UAC state.

Is your user an admin?

IMO it's a design flaw - if they want to write to system parts of the registry when a user runs the thing, they need to loosen up the permissions on those keys at the time of install... and that's bad practice really. It should be written at install, not at runtime.

One solution might be to export the keys from a working machine (e.g. maybe build a fresh install of windows or use any existing non-domain box if you don't have a working machine), then export those handler reg  keys. You could then distribute them via GPO or whatever.

Or.... wait for Cisco to fix it :-)

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Helo Aaron,

Jabber was installed by a local Administrator. Now I placed a domain user into the local adminisitrators group and startet Jabber again. But the registry entries are still away. So I couldn't generate the reg file as you suggested.

regards Ralph

I've tried it again. Now the registry entries were created. I exportet it and import it by a scipt after each jabber installation.

regards Ralph

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: