cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber 9.1 - thoughts on file sharing and screen scrapes?

harris.h
Level 1
Level 1

Hi to all

I was really just after thoughts and contributions relating to the ability to share files and performed screen scraping and sending through the IM.

My concerns really centre around where these sharing operations are stored on the local pc.

We have configured a compliance server but this will only log the IM's sent between parties, is there any way to log graphic screen scrapes sent through the IM client?, consider the possibility that someone may well send sensitive or abusive data as a screen shot in the IM chat window.

My other concern - If you allow files to be shared, they will get saved by default to a the users jabber folder - I think in documents folder??

We as a government body, are adopting the use of desk sharing, so does this mean potential sensive data remains on the pc without the users knowledge?

Please feel free to comment .

Thanks

Rich                

1 Reply 1

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The easiest answer to both of these questions is probably to just disable both features. You can do so for Jabber using the jabber-config.xml file. Note that third-party XMPP clients (e.g. Pidgin) do not respect the policy choices made in that XML file so users could sneak around it by not using Jabber.

To my knowledge there is no mechanism to intercept screen captures or file transfers for logging purposes. If this is a requirement you'll want to work with your Cisco AM to capture this as a feature request.

Yes Jabber does save to Documents\MyJabberFiles. If you use Folder Redirection in Windows Group Policy this could be pointeded to a UNC path instead of the local machine.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.