Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber and Lync interoperability

avidavidowitz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

We are a brnach office with a full CUCM implemetation  - we are in the process of upgrading from 6.x to 8.5 (or possibly 9). Our HQ has no CUCM implentation. They have begun to roll out Lync 2010 Standard for IM and Presence.  They want us to do the same. Our plan until now was to roll out Jabber. Can a Jabber client interoperate with Lync Server in place of a a Lync Standard Client just for IM (and Pressence if possible)? If not, is there any way to get around installing both Lync and Jabber?

Thanks,

Avi Davidoiwtz

Message was edited on April 19, 2013:  Lisa Marcyes from the Cisco Collaboration Community Team added community category and tags for greater ease in filtering (no change to content).

12 Replies 12

skilambi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Avi

Jabber competes with Lync. So I am not sure where you are going with this. Both clients provide IM/P along with Voice/Video. So you need to pick one client.

If Jabber is the client for all work loads, then there is no reason to deploy Lync at all. If on the other hand Lync has already been chosen as the product of choice then you can still use CUCM for voice/video and Lync just for IM/P with CUCI Lync.

However that can have it’s own pros and cons and needless to say if you are looking for a Jabber versus Lync discussion that can become a very long thread on it’s own

If you are asking about federation then Yes Jabber can interoperate with Lync for IM/P and now even supports with CUP 8.6.4 if I am not mistaken Intra domain federation which is a big deal

Thanks

Srini

What we are looking for is IM/P interoperability - but primarily IM. HQ has Lync Server. We will have CUCM. I can install both Jabber and Lync clients, but I'd rather not. I would much rather install either one or the other on the client side (and when I say client, I also mean smartphone) and have whatever client is installed be able to IM with HQ's Lync. I would also like to give each of OUR users softphone and video capability that Lync Standard does not provide, but Jabber does. So my preference would be to have Jabber installed on our clients and have it able to IM or display Presence from HQ's Lync Server.

If not, then I guess my question would be what is the most streamlined client solution with the easiest amount of long term administration.

Do Intra domain federation with CUP and Lync and eventually phase out and move users to Jabber. There is scripts to bulk import contacts from Lync to Jabber

Thanks

Srini

hi Srini,

Migration is per end user so a customer can do it any time for any number of users. It is up to the customer if/when they migrate any users

Steve

Yes correct that's what I mentioned that you can do a phased migration(not flash cut)

Srini

stlevy
Level 1
Level 1

hi Avi,

You can set up an intra-domain federation between your site and HQs such that users on site can have Jabber and still have IM and Presence interop with user on Lync at HQ.

There is a specific intradomain federation guide within the CUP documentation on cisco.com which provides the info on how to do such

Steve

Hi - sorry for the late response. Our project got delayed and we are in the midst of deploying CUPS 8.6 right now.  Just wanted to be clear - long term there is no migration path for HQ to CUCM/CUPS/Jabber - they have their system, we have ours. I was just looking for a way to avoid installing Lync for IM and Presence on our side. But on their side, Lync isn't going anywhere.

Can I assume the document you guys were reffering to is this?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cups/8_6/english/integration_notes/Federation/Intradomain_Federation/Overview_chapter.html

If so, is there any downside to doing this as a long term solution for what I am describing?

Avi

Yes you can set up Intra domain federation between the two systems for IM/P status changes. P2P chat will work and some basic presence state mappings will work as called out in the guide.

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini,

Could you please help us on this?..

I am trying to Intra-domain Federation - Cisco IM Presence
9.1.1 IM Presence & Microsoft Lync 2010, by following the Cisco Document. After
completing the configuration, i dont see the Replication & Status in the
Lync Server Control panel. It says N/A. Is it the same for you as well? Could you please help us on this?

Thanks,

Jayadurai

Hi

We have an inter domain set up not Intra. I don’t have visibility into that part of the system best to post on supportforums.cisco.com for troubleshooting help

Thanks

Srini

Hi Srini,

Thanks for you reply!

I have the screen shot here which is of the Lync Server 2010 Control panel.  The status should be there for both Inter & Intradomain federations. But anyways let me go into the Cisco support community & get some help as you advice.

Or is there anyone from whom i can get the help if you could advice!

Thanks,

Jayadurai Servion

Capture.JPG.jpg

Did you ever successfully federate your Lync 2010 and Jabber environments together? What did you do to get this done if you did?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: