Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber client without VPN connection

We would like to use Jabber for Iphone, Android and Laptop from outside ( internet or 3G ) to access our corporate CUCM but we don't have VPN

Is this possible ?

Pepole told me it is possible in Microsoft Lync

What about Cisco Jabber ?

Regards

Mohamed

19 Replies 19

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not supported with Jabber. Lync uses an Edge server and an HTTP reverse proxy to accomplish this. Cisco chose to rely on AnyConnect VPN.

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify helpful or correct answers.

A solution "Cisco Collaboration Edge" is being worked at the moment.  When available, it will allow connection to the Corporate network  without the need of VPN. It is targeted for delivery in 2H CY2013.

Thanks,

Maqsood

What is the Cisco Collaboration Edge ?

Could you please send me any document or URL

Thanks

Regards

Mohamed

Thank goodness Microsoft pushed Cisco into doing it!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I am not sure if MS pushed Cisco into doing it. I think Cisco pushed Cisco into doing it. This feature was originally refered to as SSA was on the roadmap long ago and the Cisco Collaboration teams were excited about it. However, the Security teams under Borderless Networks put the smack down on the feature at a much higher level because of fears it would erode security business. Now its reborn as Collaboration Edge. Not sure why very small percentages of a business unit that typically does around 7-9% can tell another that does 18-22% of the business that it can't launch a feature but pretty sure common sense won out in the end over political posturing. So congratulations to CCG for presenting common sense biz plans!

It is really scary when I hear that one part of a business is holding back another because it will hurt their business.  This happened over a Kodak as film held back digitial and look where that once world leader is now.  To paraphrase Steve Jobs, "you need to eat your own lunch".  If you don't take the business away from yourself someone else surely will.  Looking forward to Collab Edge.

Is Collaboration Edge going to support 3rd-party IM clients, for folks that can't use the Jabber clients (call center folks)?

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use any connect on demand VPN, which uses 2 way certificate authenication, without any user intervention  

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6789/ps7290/ps11678/deployment_guide_c07-697713.html

please rate if usefull

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Collaboration Edge is not available yet, thus no public documentation, it should be coming up sometime this summer and will be similar concept to VCS Expressway allowing registration of external devices. I don't anything beyond that, there might be licensing requirements with it, etc, but should definitely provide a solution we have all been beaten up about by Microsoft.

HTH,

Chris

Jim Jones
Level 4
Level 4

I attended a CUG session at clus where this was discussed, but what was left ambiguous was if this would be a feature included or a separate line item. Have any decisions been made on that front?
Thanks
~Jim

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Very Interested to hear some updates from Cisco on this solution. Customers have been asking about this for a long time.

We cannot discuss features or solutions which have not hit FCS on a public forum. If you want additional details you should post your question on the CUG forums or ask your Cisco AM, both of which would be NDA-protected conversations.

Jonathan,

Sorry, just saw this response.  I will take it to the CUG forum.

hanzhao
Level 1
Level 1

Cisco will release another solution called "CUBE CUCM lineside support" this month from release 3.10, anyone can search it in CCO later this month. the configuration guide would be available soon.

basic idea is

phone-----CUBE----CUCM,

1) CUBE can support NAT, public--private IP conversion.

2) TLS/SRTP on either side or both

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: