cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

jabber-config group file without a device profile

LC4
Level 1
Level 1

We have a group of users using IMP only where we want to disable certain Jabber functions.  As they are IMP only , they do not have device profiles.  Is there a way to assign a specific jabber-config.xml file to these users so I can remove features from their clients without affecting our global user base?

I am running IMP 10.5.2 SU3 and Jabber client 10.6 but open to suggestions on any later releases where I can solve this problem.

Thanks.

7 Replies 7

A_
Level 1
Level 1

As far as I know this only works for CSF devices.

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Jabber documentation already explains how to create group configurations for the .xml file, which is what you're asking

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't seen anything in the documentation that allows group configuration without a device profile for all clients.

For Windows , I could use the msi installer switch to use a different jabber-config file.  How can I apply this same group configuration file to mobile devices that don't have a device profile?

Hi 

Without CSF device you can do the following for Jabber to pick the Group configuration file"

1. Go to C:\ProgramData\Cisco Systems\Cisco Jabber and open the bootstrap.properties file.
  2. Add ConfigurationFile:group-jabber-config.xml at the bottom and save it.
  3. Upload the new xml file to all the TFTP servers in the cluster.
  4. Restart the TFTP server.
  5. Reset the Jabber client and login again.

Tapan

Correct you cannot - you can provide some steering with the configuration URL if you wanted to point the client off to some other cluster or services, say if you wanted to play TFTP games, but that's a bad idea.

The documentation wasn't very clear on this to me either, as it appears that at some point in the past IM Only was the default when you wheeled everything through CUPS but this is not the case now anyways. Our SE suggested (and this works for us but it is a bit annoying) that you set the jabber-config.xml up for IM Only then set the rest of the users for telephony/voicemail. Use the Telephony_Enabled/Voicemail_Enabled parameters to turn off those functions in the client in jabber-config.xml.

You can copy your exisitng configuration to something like "jabber-config-fullUC.xml" and put that on your TFTP. Then apply a Common Phone Profile to the CSF devices that has the Cisco Support Field filled in and those clients will use that configuration and operate as they do today without noticing anything.

This works on the mobile devices too but you have to fill that field in manually at this point.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The sticking point for me is that I have to consider both mobile and Windows clients where I need to enforce the same restrictions for any given individual.

Let's take UserA as an example....

While I can leverage bootstrap files, MSI switches,etc for UserA's Windows client  - I have no way to enforce those same Windows parameters on UserA's mobile device since UserA is IM only and does not have a BOT/TCT and/or TAB profile.

If I make my global jabber-config file more restrictive to solve my mobile issue for UserA, I'm also affecting the majority of other users that should be allowed to use more features.

It is a pain but that seems to be the only reasonable way to do that as it is for now.

I manage this by using templates and assigning all CSF devices a "Standard Jabber Full UC User" common phone profile with the config pointer in it. If you do that and apply it to the Jabber devices ahead of time they won't notice any disruption in service, then you can change the base config for mobile users.

I think you can specify TFTP servers (though I don't think you can do this with the Jabber provisioning URL string) which you could use for those mobile clients if you can get them that parameter somehow but that seems like a worse option.

I know there have been a bunch of requests I've heard around better configuration management or handling configurations where you don't have devices but if those things are happening it is obviously not there yet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: