jabber-config.xml file is mandatory ?

Network Admin
Level 1
Level 1

Our Scenario :-

1. CUCM 10.5.2

2. IM and Presence 10.5.2

3. Collaboration Edge X8.5.2

3. LDAP Sync + Authentication of CUCM and UNITYCNX for End Users.

4. Jabber for Windows/Desktop version 11.0(1)

5. Some of the Desktop PCs are not added to Active directory Domain

6. But Some of the Desktop PCs are added to Active directory Domain.

QUESTIONS:-

1. Do I have to use jabber-config.xml  in this scenario ?  When jabber-config.xml  file is necessary ?

2. Do I have to tick  " Use UDS for Contact Resolution " in UC Service Profile Configuration ? When I have to tick this and when I do not  tick this ?

Please note : We have a mixed scenario , some PCs in domain and while some not in domain. please advice.

TAGS:-

12 Replies 12

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You will be using a jebber-config.xml by default. if there is a requirement to change it, you can. but every Jabber client will download the jabber-config.xml by default at start up indiscriminate of whether you made changes to it or not.  

If some of your desktops are not added to AD, you will most defintitely need to change your config file.

check one of my older posts out:

http://ciscoshizzle.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/jabber-for-windows-enhanced-directory.html

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

1. So that means , I have to edit the jabber-config.xml file to use only UDS so that both Jabber in PCs without domain and with domain will work fine ?

2. In this case as it is UDS,  do i have to disable LDAP Authentication and to keep only LDAP synchronization ?

3.  In this case Is it mandatory that Authentication for jabber should be from CUCM rather than LDAP ?

1. So that means , I have to edit the jabber-config.xml file to use only UDS so that both Jabber in PCs without domain and with domain will work fine ?

-yes

2. In this case as it is UDS,  do i have to disable LDAP Authentication and to keep only LDAP synchronization ?

-do you mean on CUCM? not necesarily, as LDAP authentication can be used for other forms of authentication as well, for instance when logging into the cisco end user webpages for instance.

3.  In this case Is it mandatory that Authentication for jabber should be from CUCM rather than LDAP ?

I think 2 answers this, so No

I have created the jabber-config.xml . Everything is fine including UDS contact lookup and discovery. But am getting connection error CJ109:3. Please find the attached below also attached jabber-config.xml file

I have seen multiple posts on this error for instance

https://supportforums.cisco.com/discussion/12572841/jabber-error-code-cj1093

that particular post suggests:

kay,if you already have 'Standard CTI Enabled' and 'Standard CTI Allow Control of All Devices' role for this user under User Management page,then i would check the port number used for LDAP authentication.If this problem is happening on all Jabber clients,then ensure that the port is configured to 3268 instead of 389 under LDAP Authentication section of CCM.If it is happening for one specific user,then traces will be required to see what is going on.The MAC address of the device should already be present under 'Controlled Devices' list under User Management page.

SoftPhone is now connected and working fine after adding the PC to the domain. Didn't change anything else. Soon it showing connected and working fine.

But I wanted to make it work without adding the PC into domain. Because many of the USER-PCs are not in domain.No Luck  :(

Also another issue is that in both case , when I enable  " Use my phone for Calls "  ,(  Deskphone mode) it is not working. I tried changing the Port number of LDAP Authentcation also.No luck on that too :(

OK so, when "use my phone for calls" is not working in Jabber, did you check, that:

-CTI is enabled on the line of the phone

-CTI is enabled on the phone itself (although I am not sure this is fully required).

-the Jabber user is associated with the line of the phone

-the Jabber user in CUCM, does it have CTI user permissions, under user management?

-

All these basic settings are already done. " Use my phone for Calls " Still not working.

I manually created this CtiGw App User under CUCM Application user before integrating with IMP at the time of installation.

CtiGw Application user has to be automatically created under CUCM App User while configuring IM&P ?

That Could be the problem ?

That sounds like the 8.x IM/CUCM way of doing it.

on 10.5.x there are UC profiles  CUCM:usermanagement>user settings>UC profile.

there is no longer a need for a CTI enable application user as all this functionality is pulled into CUCM.

Anyways I have an Application User CtiGw that I created.Do I have to delete this CtiGw App user ?

Also I have already configured everything in UC Service as below.

Yash Rohilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You have not mentioned what you require the jabber-config.xml file for?

Since you mentioned UDS, are you looking to configure the Jabber clients for directory searches? 

If so, you do not have to have the jabber-config.xml file. You can create/edit a service profile. If you tick "Use UDS for contact resolution", then Jabber clients will perform directory searches from CUCM.

LDAP authentication can stay set if you want authentication for End Users to be done from AD. It is not relevant when configuring directory searches.

HTH,

Yash

Things are really Confusing. Some body Help me.

There are lot of parameters in jabber-config.xml GENERATOR. Which all things I have to add and which I do not have to ? :o

1. For Enduser Jabber Login  , I will use LDAP Authentication , even if Jabber is Outside the premise ( ie. through Expressway Edge) ?

2. At the same time for Directory Lookup I will have to enable UDS on jabber-config.xml file  +  I will tick " Use UDS for Contact resolution " in UC Service Profile of CUCM ?

3. What about the other parameters in jabber-config.xml GENERATOR ? Do I really need to delete from the generated xml file ?