cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Desktop Sharing Explained

gmatroni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There has been lots of confusion and questions around the various types of Desktop Sharing methods in Jabber as we move forward.

One of our BU escalation engineer has taken the time to create a concise document that explains the various methods.

Troubleshooting will come later, but we wanted to get this out there to help clear up some of the confusion and misinformation.

Attached Please find the doc and post any question and or comments

9 Replies 9

weihan-lu
Level 5
Level 5

A very good document, thank you!

George Paxson
Level 1
Level 1

Cool.  Thanks for the post.  I understand and have updated my CUCM to enable screen share through MRA.  I tested and this works.

So for those that come after me....

There is IM Only Share that is peer to peer and is possible, but not suitable for communications through a firewall to the internet.  Not available through MRA.

There is Presentation Sharing using BFCP that requires an active SIP call before initiating a desktop share.  So place a SIP call through Expressway and then enable desktop sharing.

My context does not include WebEx in production yet.

Thanks Again

George Paxson

Pavel Herc
Level 1
Level 1

Helpfull doc thanks

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is an updated version of the original document that I was provided.

Response Signature

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Here is an updated version of the original document that I was provided.

Response Signature

thank you very much for the updated version. It brings more light to the cases I have to solve ;)

Well done, thank you for this!  

By chance, do you have anything similar for remote control via Jabber?

Hi , very good doc!!!

Just to resume , even in jabber 12.5 , i cant do desktop sharing in a chat when im in MRA , is this correct? Only with a video call , correct? Regards

If you have a VDI environment but don't deploy Jabber in VDI since lets say its just im/desk phone control/share mode (no soft phone) then will there be any caveats on share? will BFCP and IM share work in that scenario since I know JVDI won't support BDCP

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: