cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber: Disable LDAP Lookup if Jabber start ???

csedlmeier
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Support community.

I change our Jabber clients to do an direct LDAP search in our LDAP (not UDS) if they search for users.

After this I found out that every time Users start there Jabber clients in the morning the Jabber Client do an Lookup for whole Cal History and for all localy in Jabber saved Users. This prdocue heavy load on out AD and because of this I had to reenable UDS for now.

My question is now if it is possible to disabe this behavior or maybe use a cach if Jabber ask LDAP once ? The idea is Jabber start, ask LDAP for new configured users or new entrys in call history and keep in cach.

Any ideas ?

Christian

6 Replies 6

Slavik Bialik
Level 7
Level 7

I think that the best solution will be to change the LDAP port you set in the Directory UC Service of yours, from TCP/389 to TCP/3268. When using TCP/3268, it makes queries against LDAP Global Catalog. In simple words, the Global Catalog is the same directory but contains much less attributes and user fields compared to the regular LDAP. That way, it is easier and faster to make queries on the Global Catalog.

Off the topic, I would also recommend you to change the LDAP Authentication settings LDAP port to be also TCP/3268 instead of TCP/389. I had lots of deployments which had a CTI issue when users logged in to Cisco Jabber, and it resolves this issue.

I understand if global catalog is used and Jabber do an lookup the ask for much less informations and because of this produce less load ? Another question would be if there is any link where I can see difference ?

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

What version of Jabber are you using?

Jabber already has a cache to prevent this

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Hello Jaime.

Maybe this is the problem. Some users have new version 12.0 but most of our users have 11.8.6 because all our Windows 10 workstations gut 11.8.6, but older Windows 7 workstations still have 10.6.

Does it mean it make sence to update to 12.1 to get the cache and because of the cache if a Jabber start they will not do a lookup every time ?

Christian

Yes, 10.6 has been EOS for quite some time now

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/unified-communications/jabber-mac/bulletin-c25-737545.html

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

The cache only lasts for 24 hours though if memory serves. Also, Jabber queries are not altered or reduced when using the Global Catalog ports vs. local domain. Perhaps the better question here is why you don’t want to use UDS; it’s the only workable option over MRA anyway.

As for the load: Jabber also queries for every call placed/received, not just at startup. You may want to verify that the attributes Jabber used to search are all indexed in AD; this will make a big difference. Proper use of AD Sites can also distribute the load better/across the nearest DC to a Windows domain-joined client.
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/voice_ip_comm/jabber/12_0/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber-12/cjab_b_planning-guide-for-cisco-jabber-12_chapter_0110.html#CJAB_RF_L0E03D34_00